+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Moving a financed car from USA to Canada

peacefulpal

Star Member
Oct 24, 2020
I am in a similar situation as i was planning on living in windsor for a little while (till family is ready to move) with my american vehicle that has a lien on it but i guess with the borders closed i wont be able to drive back unless i am deemed an essential worker, which i am not. any thoughts?
I remember from other posts that they didn't allow some people even for a shorter stay. I personally talked to a CBSA officer on phone last month and he said clearly that I would not be allowed if I want to enter Canada in a personal car that has a lien. So I would recommend you to reach to the CBSA and confirm before your travel.

CanadianPRbeku

Star Member
Feb 24, 2017
Chicago
Passport Req..
22-09-2017
I remember from other posts that they didn't allow some people even for a shorter stay. I personally talked to a CBSA officer on phone last month and he said clearly that I would not be allowed if I want to enter Canada in a personal car that has a lien. So I would recommend you to reach to the CBSA and confirm before your travel.
got it- thanks for the advise will reach out to them and figure this out again..would you still have the number you used to speak with CBSA?

greencard14

Star Member
Jan 31, 2014
USA
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-06-2014
IELTS Request
Sent with app
Med's Request
13-11-2014
Med's Done....
11-12-2014
Guys, after importing the car, I had to give the original title to DMV in Ontario to get it registered. Do you know if there is a way to get the original title back while moving back to the US? Or, if I plan to sell the car in the US?

Carmageddon

Apr 19, 2012
Canada
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Rome
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
Nomination.....
AOR Received.
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
What about slightly different situation:
The car you want to buy (new) costs 10k more in CAD than equivalent conversion in US currency.
Can we get financing in Canada, go buy the car in the US, then import it over?

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
The car you want to buy (new) costs 10k more in CAD than equivalent conversion in US currency.
And have you included the taxes you’ll pay on this import ?
It’s not going to be tax free

lampbreaker

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2015
No Canadian lender will finance a car that is titled in the US.
Besides, unless you can claim some exemption like settler tarrif, you will have to pay duty on the import which will negate any price benefit.

Reactions: scylla

Duffa

Star Member
Jul 28, 2018
Are you going to make a soft landing and return to the US? If yes, then yeah, you can do this.

If you are moving for good, then no because you'll need to import the car at the border, and you can't do that without the title.
What happens if you say you’re doing soft landing then just keep paying off the car without driving it in Canada. Can you import after you’re done paying In let’s say 7 months?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

What happens if you say you’re doing soft landing then just keep paying off the car without driving it in Canada. Can you import after you’re done paying In let’s say 7 months?
1. Yes, just make sure it is on your Goods to Follow list.

isaacspriyan

Mar 29, 2019
I have my title released by the bank. Do i again go the BMV and get a clean title? or the current title is okay to export the car to canada.

tuhadapeo

Jul 20, 2017
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Montreal -> Vancouver
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
04-12-2018
AOR Received.
04-12-2018
Med's Done....
14-01-2019
I have my title released by the bank. Do i again go the BMV and get a clean title? or the current title is okay to export the car to canada.
Original title along with a lien release letter is sufficient.