+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Moving a disabled parent from Quebec to Ontario

meeh16

Mar 7, 2013
I need to move my mom from Quebec to Ontario as she can no longer live on her own. She is receiving a monthly disability from Quebec due to vascular dementia. She is under 60 years old so putting her in a home will costs us $4000 a month if we do so leaving us the only option right now: move her in with us here in Ontario.

Question is: is this a wise decision as we don't know if her monthly disability payment will stop and she needs this to cover her medicines and other personal expenses.

Also, any tips or suggestions as I am definitely clueless and would like to make sure the transition will be easier for all of us without tax complications or surprised expenses.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Her Quebec benefits will not continue if she is moved out of province. You'll need to go through the process of having her approved for ODSP (the Ontario version of the disability support program). I don't know how this process works but the following link may be of some help:

http://settlement.org/ontario/health/disability/

neutral

Mar 19, 2015
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
meeh16 said:
I need to move my mom from Quebec to Ontario as she can no longer live on her own. She is receiving a monthly disability from Quebec due to vascular dementia. She is under 60 years old so putting her in a home will costs us $4000 a month if we do so leaving us the only option right now: move her in with us here in Ontario.

Question is: is this a wise decision as we don't know if her monthly disability payment will stop and she needs this to cover her medicines and other personal expenses.

Also, any tips or suggestions as I am definitely clueless and would like to make sure the transition will be easier for all of us without tax complications or surprised expenses.
That it's not the only option. It's the BEST option. She's YOUR mother regardless if you have the $4K or not.

Peanuts1969

Feb 18, 2020

Did you get some help? Can you please share what happened with the move?