+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Move to Quebec/Canada PR

sakshi3112

Oct 30, 2017
Hi Guys,

I am in a bit of a spot here, hoping to get some clarity from this forum. I have a COPR with me for Canada already. At the time of applying my plan was to leave my job and finish all affairs in India to move to Canada and look for a job.

During the course of the application I was open to moving to anywhere in Canada. However, now my company is saying that they can move me to Montreal, since I already have a valid PR valid till July 2018. The problem is Quebec considers itself as a separate province - separate from Canada. I am confused whether I will be able to land in Montreal with this PR confirmation or not.

If I have to apply for a CSQ, then what would be the timeline/requirements for the same.

Alternatively, If I move in March 2018, with a job offer in Montreal (with the same company I am in right now) along with the Canada PR (no CSQ) would I still not be allowed to land and enter in Montreal?

Any response is appreciated.

Thanks

Sakshi

poisonapple

Nov 3, 2014
Montreal
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
Sydney/Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
14-11-2016
AOR Received.
15-02-2017
Med's Done....
20-04-2017
Passport Req..
Hi Guys,

I am in a bit of a spot here, hoping to get some clarity from this forum. I have a COPR with me for Canada already. At the time of applying my plan was to leave my job and finish all affairs in India to move to Canada and look for a job.

During the course of the application I was open to moving to anywhere in Canada. However, now my company is saying that they can move me to Montreal, since I already have a valid PR valid till July 2018. The problem is Quebec considers itself as a separate province - separate from Canada. I am confused whether I will be able to land in Montreal with this PR confirmation or not.

If I have to apply for a CSQ, then what would be the timeline/requirements for the same.

Alternatively, If I move in March 2018, with a job offer in Montreal (with the same company I am in right now) along with the Canada PR (no CSQ) would I still not be allowed to land and enter in Montreal?

Any response is appreciated.

Thanks

Sakshi
You have PR you don't need CSQ ... to avoid any issue you can land at any other province and than move to Montreal ,shouldn't be an issue...

Reactions: APPNOV2014NY

sakshi3112

Oct 30, 2017
Are you sure, because I have been reading too much about it so just validating the information. I will also be working in Montreal then for a good time period.
Does that mean in the longer run I will not have any issue if I decide to move elsewhere in Canada (this is with reference to healthcare coverage, applying for citizenship etc)

poisonapple

Nov 3, 2014
Montreal
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
Sydney/Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
14-11-2016
AOR Received.
15-02-2017
Med's Done....
20-04-2017
Passport Req..
Are you sure, because I have been reading too much about it so just validating the information. I will also be working in Montreal then for a good time period.
Does that mean in the longer run I will not have any issue if I decide to move elsewhere in Canada (this is with reference to healthcare coverage, applying for citizenship etc)
As a PR holder you have right to work /settle anywhere in Canada....

sakshi3112

Oct 30, 2017
@poisonapple

RAMQ will ask for CSQ to issue Health Card. What's the work around for that ?
I am unsure of this. I believe the health coverage will be the biggest issue. But I am wondering (and simply thinking out loud) that health coverage will be a waiting period of 3 months and then I will anyways have to renew it

so may be I can play it by the ear for that one.

poisonapple

Nov 3, 2014
Montreal
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
Sydney/Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
14-11-2016
AOR Received.
15-02-2017
Med's Done....
20-04-2017
Passport Req..
I am unsure of this. I believe the health coverage will be the biggest issue. But I am wondering (and simply thinking out loud) that health coverage will be a waiting period of 3 months and then I will anyways have to renew it

so may be I can play it by the ear for that one.
Did you applied through EE or any other province nomination?

Betula

Aug 30, 2017
Category........
QSW
I would just fly to Toronto or any other major city outside Quebec to land and then later arrive in Montreal by whatever means of transport. Like said, PR can reside anywhere in Canada and I'm sure it is everybody's benefit to go to a different province for work than to stay in the designated province unemployed....

For the healthcare, I'm pretty sure that RAMQ will accept other "proofs" of residing in Quebec, like lease/electricity bills/job contract/whatever. Obviously, you just cannot provide those immediately so you would have to wait a little bit to apply for the RAMQ healthcare... On the other hand, isn't there anyways the three-month waiting to be accepted to RAMQ (unless you are from one of the few European countries that have a healthcare agreement with Quebec), and you'll need a private insurance for that time period? So during that time your life will be settled and you'll be able to provide proof that you are actually living in Quebec.

This is what it says on RAMQ website:

"The originals of the following documents:
  • Permanent resident card, or any other document issued by the Canadian immigration authorities attesting to your permanent resident status in Canada
  • Québec selection certificate, in most cases
Persons coming from outside Canada who take up residence in Québec must also attach their visa to their registration form."

poisonapple

Nov 3, 2014
Montreal
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
Sydney/Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
14-11-2016
AOR Received.
15-02-2017
Med's Done....
20-04-2017
Passport Req..
@poisonapple

RAMQ will ask for CSQ to issue Health Card. What's the work around for that ?
RAMQ do ask for CSQ for QSWP , in this case person can apply for medical card in landing province and than later on get exchanged that with RAMQ ...

Betula

Aug 30, 2017
Category........
QSW
RAMQ do ask for CSQ for QSWP , in this case person can apply for medical card in landing province and than later on get exchanged that with RAMQ ...
This is a good idea too. To plan to stay in the landing province for a little while to do the bureaucracy.

docSB

May 24, 2018
Hi Sakshi3112, any updates on your Quebec thing. I am also on the same page and want to know

Ababakr

Feb 20, 2018
Hi everyone
How long does it take one to move from Quebec after one gets his PR via federal to any other province? A year, 2yrs or

Ababakr

Feb 20, 2018
Hi everyone
How long does it take one to move from Quebec after one gets his PR via federal to any other province? A year, 2yrs, 3yrs and so on.
Pls i need a reliable answer from experience member.