+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Move to Ontario and pay taxes in Quebec

llty

Apr 6, 2019
Hi I am pretty new in Canada , just 4 months , so I have a question regarding taxes , I live in Montreal , but I will maybe move to Toronto working remotely from home, regarding my taxes ,I read that I need to do them in the place I stay before 31December , in this case Montreal , so will be ok if I put a Toronto address on my tax return ?

Also is necessary that I communicate right away my new address to my employee regarding tax ? could be a mess for the tax return if by any chance I forgot to communicate it as soon as I will know for sure if I move or not ?

Thank you !

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
It won't really impact your employer but you do need to tell them as numbers change. You have to fill out the taxes according to where you lived on December 31. If that's Montreal, that is where you fill it out, even if you are living in Toronto by the time you file.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi I am pretty new in Canada , just 4 months , so I have a question regarding taxes , I live in Montreal , but I will maybe move to Toronto working remotely from home, regarding my taxes ,I read that I need to do them in the place I stay before 31December , in this case Montreal , so will be ok if I put a Toronto address on my tax return ?

Also is necessary that I communicate right away my new address to my employee regarding tax ? could be a mess for the tax return if by any chance I forgot to communicate it as soon as I will know for sure if I move or not ?

Thank you !
This may create problems with your health coverage if you used your RAMQ. You haven't met the residency obligations to receive healthcare in Quebec.

llty

Apr 6, 2019
Hi All , thank you for your message , basically, I will move to Ontario because my girlfriend got a job there and I can work remotely so for me is not an issue , thing is like we are not sure 100 that we will stay there for long , so was thinking to keep my address of Montreal too, at least to receive the letters for some time , and then if for sure we will stay longer in Ont then change the address afterwards , so for that reason don't communicate it yet to my company , do you think this could be doable ?

Regarding RAMQ actually I don't have it now , so I think this wont be an issue

Thank you !

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi All , thank you for your message , basically, I will move to Ontario because my girlfriend got a job there and I can work remotely so for me is not an issue , thing is like we are not sure 100 that we will stay there for long , so was thinking to keep my address of Montreal too, at least to receive the letters for some time , and then if for sure we will stay longer in Ont then change the address afterwards , so for that reason don't communicate it yet to my company , do you think this could be doable ?

Regarding RAMQ actually I don't have it now , so I think this wont be an issue

Thank you !
If you are not actually living in Montreal and are living in Ontario you need to change your address. Getting an address to receive mail doesn't mean you're living in Quebec.

swan0206

Champion Member
May 14, 2019
If you are not actually living in Montreal and are living in Ontario you need to change your address. Getting an address to receive mail doesn't mean you're living in Quebec.
What constitutes to living in which province and whats the check on this? Doesn't what @k.h.p mentioned is valid? If the OP is living in Ontario province till 30th dec and was in Montreal on Dec 31st does that really constitute to file taxes as a Quebec resident?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
What constitutes to living in which province and whats the check on this? Doesn't what @k.h.p mentioned is valid? If the OP is living in Ontario province till 30th dec and was in Montreal on Dec 31st does that really constitute to file taxes as a Quebec resident?
What do you mean by in Montreal on December 31st? Did they move permanently back to Quebec on December 31st? Had they updated to their address to Ontario and then changed it back to Quebec on December 31st?

swan0206

Champion Member
May 14, 2019
What do you mean by in Montreal on December 31st? Did they move permanently back to Quebec on December 31st? Had they updated to their address to Ontario and then changed it back to Quebec on December 31st?
Where is the measure or check saying they had permanently moved to some province? I know a person who had their family living in Ontario but travels weekly to montreal for work. So he is mostly living in montreal in a given year renting an aptment. Where does he claim taxes or file taxes? Coz he hadnt changed his license or health insurance is he still a resident of ontario? Please clarify

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Where is the measure or check saying they had permanently moved to some province? I know a person who had their family living in Ontario but travels weekly to montreal for work. So he is mostly living in montreal in a given year renting an aptment. Where does he claim taxes or file taxes? Coz he hadnt changed his license or health insurance is he still a resident of ontario? Please clarify
I suggest you phone CRA which province shall the person claim to be a resident for tax purposes.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
His primary residence is likely in Ontario because his family lives there. Does he own home in Ontario? He can check with CRA but because his family lives in Ontario and uses services in Ontario he would likely be an Ontario resident. When it come to his license and the plates on his car he really need to be reviewing his insurance policy and speaking to his insurance agent about his living situation. His policy can end up nul and void if it is determined that he should have gotten a license in Ontario and had insurance from Ontario. If they have multiple vehicles I assume they are registered in Ontario so you would assume all their vehicles in their family would need to be registered and insured in Ontario. If his primary home is in Ontario then I would assume that he should fall under OHIP and not RAMQ. He should be contacting RAMQ and OHIP to determine which is qualifies for.

It is your personal responsibility to look into what you qualify for and how you should be filing your taxes. What typically happens is that at a certain point your account gets flagged and then there is an audit of you file. For example if you had a car accident your insurance company may start looking at why you are in Ontario when you have listed your address as Quebec. Insurance companies try their very hardest not to pay out a claim so they often look into whether there are inconsistencies in your application versus real life. Your friend could have used RAMQ in an Ontario once if not more than once and RAMQ may start an investigation as to why you were in Ontario. RAMQ has a lower reimbursement rate and tends to be difficult to receive payment from so other provinces, especially not borders towns, may start asking about why you have RAMQ and why you are in Ontario. That could lead to your file being flagged and you being asked to provide more information about you life. In all these cases if you are found to have being applying for things incorrectly you are usually on the hook for expenses paid out incorrectly so it is best to be proactive and determine how you should be apply for things and what you qualify for.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I am rameez irfad I need a job in canada has a forklift operator. I am currently working in dubai has a forklift operator 0543881735
Rameezali24569@gmail.com
Please do not post your contact information. You will likely be contacted by scammers promising jobs that don’t exist. Never give money to anyone that contacts you withe the promise of a job or getting you status in Canada.