+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

More than 2.5 years out of Canada after Softlanding

kusrbo

Feb 2, 2017
Hi,
Hoping you can point me in right direction.

I had made plans to travel Canada last August 2020 but due to covid restrictions lot of things became uncertain therefore changed my plans.

My current situation: My PR is expiring on Jun 2023. I did a soft landing in Apr 2018 and for various reasons didnt travel soon. So its been more than 2 years I am out of Canada. Waiting for things to fall back to normal but I am afraid I will be running out of time. So I am planning to travel this March 21 so that I can still have 2 years time to stay in Canada hoping to renew my PR.

I went through cic website to understand travel regulations. Learnt that PR holders can travel but had to quarantine on the arrival. Show them evidence how we are going to manage during quarantine.

- Dont have a job in hand and With 2 year 3 months remain to enter Canada, hope there wouldn’t be any problem at the immigration?
- Quarantine must be in hotel or can I do at my friends place?
- Do I have to carry latest police certificate and medicals again when I travel?

Thanks

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
You will need a negative Covid test taken within 72 hours of your flight. You will also be required to quarantine in a government facility and await additional testing. Budget $2K each for this. If the results are negative, you can continue with your original quarantine plan. Unless your friend has separate living quarters for you, they will also have to quarantine for 14 days. No police certificate or medical required. You need to travel before April to be in compliance with residency requirements.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi,
Hoping you can point me in right direction.

I had made plans to travel Canada last August 2020 but due to covid restrictions lot of things became uncertain therefore changed my plans.

My current situation: My PR is expiring on Jun 2023. I did a soft landing in Apr 2018 and for various reasons didnt travel soon. So its been more than 2 years I am out of Canada. Waiting for things to fall back to normal but I am afraid I will be running out of time. So I am planning to travel this March 21 so that I can still have 2 years time to stay in Canada hoping to renew my PR.

I went through cic website to understand travel regulations. Learnt that PR holders can travel but had to quarantine on the arrival. Show them evidence how we are going to manage during quarantine.

- Dont have a job in hand and With 2 year 3 months remain to enter Canada, hope there wouldn’t be any problem at the immigration?
- Quarantine must be in hotel or can I do at my friends place?
- Do I have to carry latest police certificate and medicals again when I travel?

Thanks
- You won't have any issues at immigration.
- It's hard to say at this time since the new quarantine rules haven't been announced in detail yet.
- No. But you will need a COVID test.

Reactions: kusrbo

kusrbo

Feb 2, 2017
You will need a negative Covid test taken within 72 hours of your flight. You will also be required to quarantine in a government facility and await additional testing. Budget $2K each for this. If the results are negative, you can continue with your original quarantine plan. Unless your friend has separate living quarters for you, they will also have to quarantine for 14 days. No police certificate or medical required. You need to travel before April to be in compliance with residency requirements.
Thanks for your response.

If you don’t mind could you please clarify this statement

“You need to travel before April to be in compliance with residency requirements.“

730 days in 5 year time period, wouldn’t that be counted till the PR expiry date?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
What option do I have to renew my PR card when entering Canada with PR card expiring in less than 2 years?
You can live in Canada without a valid PR card. Only apply to renew your PR card once you have completed the 730 in 5 years.