+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Misspelled Name on PR Card

Veenzw

Dec 30, 2019
Hello, I received my PR card two weeks ago and I just noticed that they misspelled my middle Name. They added in extra “L” in my name so for example my middle name is Michael, but they wrote it as Michaell . I had already traveled out of the country by the time I noticed. Now I have to return to canada by Friday and I’ve tried calling immigration to no avail. I was on vacation in Mexico.

My question is, would I be able to enter canada with that misspelling or I’m totally screwed? I’m originally from Egypt so does this mean I have to go to Egypt and fix my application from there? Is there a chance I would be allowed to enter canada with this misspelling?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hello, I received my PR card two weeks ago and I just noticed that they misspelled my middle Name. They added in extra “L” in my name so for example my middle name is Michael, but they wrote it as Michaell . I had already traveled out of the country by the time I noticed. Now I have to return to canada by Friday and I’ve tried calling immigration to no avail. I was on vacation in Mexico.

My question is, would I be able to enter canada with that misspelling or I’m totally screwed? I’m originally from Egypt so does this mean I have to go to Egypt and fix my application from there? Is there a chance I would be allowed to enter canada with this misspelling?
This is not a guarantee but very often if all other details esp DOB match and it is clearly a typo, they'll not make a big deal of it, moreso when it is not a first or esp last name.

Note, likelihood of issues are often lower at passport control (or land border) than at airlines. CBSA/IRCC have more info than the airlines and will usually figure it out. If you can travel through the USA and come to a land border I'd feel very confident they'd accept the docs.

You can try to check with your airline but warning, possible airline will not commit to anything and say it's up to the check-in agent.

When you return if it is recent you should file the request to amend your PR card:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/request-reissue-permanent-resident-card.html

But all I can really say is I don't think you should worry too much, both because mistakes do happen and if it's a new card etc, but esp because worrying won't help at all.

Lc4life

Aug 9, 2021
This is not a guarantee but very often if all other details esp DOB match and it is clearly a typo, they'll not make a big deal of it, moreso when it is not a first or esp last name.

Note, likelihood of issues are often lower at passport control (or land border) than at airlines. CBSA/IRCC have more info than the airlines and will usually figure it out. If you can travel through the USA and come to a land border I'd feel very confident they'd accept the docs.

You can try to check with your airline but warning, possible airline will not commit to anything and say it's up to the check-in agent.

When you return if it is recent you should file the request to amend your PR card:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/request-reissue-permanent-resident-card.html

But all I can really say is I don't think you should worry too much, both because mistakes do happen and if it's a new card etc, but esp because worrying won't help at all.
Hello, I have a similar issue as OP. The difference is that they added an extra letter on the First name. Now I am on temporary SIN, but if I need to update it to permanent SIN, does it have to conform to pr card?