+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Missed Oath Ceremony-26th august 2015

adithya1991

Jan 1, 2014
hello,

I passed the citizenship exam on june 15th. After that I left to Dubai (where I was studying for two years), to obtain my undergraduate results so that I could forward them to the universities in canada for my masters program admissions. My final results were released only by the second week of august and It took a while to obtain the relevant paperwork to send to unis in canada. I just got an admit about a week back from Queens. I just checked online today and got a severe shock when i saw that it was scheduled today! Unfortunately, since I couldnt be there in canada and the occupants of the address had to leave by august 7th to conduct their daughters wedding in India I was not in a position to know about the ceremony. The letter as per the online webpage had been sent by august 11th. So neither the occupants nor me could confirm this but i guess this is not worth of argument.

I immediately contacted CIC and let them know of my predicament. I was told to document a letter and provide supporting proof. Im planning on providing my acceptance letter from Queens, my flight tickets from edmonton to dubai after writing the exam and the occupants tickets from edmonton to india on august 6th. Will this suffice?

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

P.S the worst thing is that my flight back to Kingston ontario leaves on the 26th and theres no way I can shuffle my flight to reach edmonton on time (4pm). Im ready to pay anything for airfare.

adzees

Sep 2, 2010
Edmonton, AB
App. Filed.......
Oct 2011
Doc's Request.
July 2015
Nomination.....
October 2015
AOR Received.
February 2016
File Transfer...
July 2016
Med's Request
July 2016
Med's Done....
August 2016
So sorry to hear this. At this point, The only option you have is to contact CIC edmontonwithin 30 days of the scheduled date with the explanation. They will re-schedule the date for you. How long ot's going to take? No one can tell.

Also if you got the admission in queen's university then they may ask you to change your address and then your file may get transferred to another local office.

It's a waiting game for you at this point.

OrangeCup

Star Member
Feb 13, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
adithya1991 said:
hello,

I passed the citizenship exam on june 15th. After that I left to Dubai (where I was studying for two years), to obtain my undergraduate results so that I could forward them to the universities in canada for my masters program admissions. My final results were released only by the second week of august and It took a while to obtain the relevant paperwork to send to unis in canada. I just got an admit about a week back from Queens. I just checked online today and got a severe shock when i saw that it was scheduled today! Unfortunately, since I couldnt be there in canada and the occupants of the address had to leave by august 7th to conduct their daughters wedding in India I was not in a position to know about the ceremony. The letter as per the online webpage had been sent by august 11th. So neither the occupants nor me could confirm this but i guess this is not worth of argument.

I immediately contacted CIC and let them know of my predicament. I was told to document a letter and provide supporting proof. Im planning on providing my acceptance letter from Queens, my flight tickets from edmonton to dubai after writing the exam and the occupants tickets from edmonton to india on august 6th. Will this suffice?

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

P.S the worst thing is that my flight back to Kingston ontario leaves on the 26th and theres no way I can shuffle my flight to reach edmonton on time (4pm). Im ready to pay anything for airfare.
Hi there, sorry to hear about your oath invite, but I am sure cic will reschedule it soon. Stay positive.
Quick question - did your ecas not update with the oath date prior to the date?
Or did you just didn't have the opportunity to check it?

Thank you.

FAS

Star Member
Jun 13, 2011
Hi Aditya, I am in similar situation, I missed the oath ceremony because of overseas travel, I have sent CIC ottawa office letter with supporting itenerary of my over seas travel, I have not heard back, can you please share your experience. thanks

Simp

Nov 6, 2010
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

I hope you might hv been citizenship oath by now so how long it took and which address you sent the letter ? as i am in same situation now and missed the oath in dec.

Thanks

S

FAS said:
Hi Aditya, I am in similar situation, I missed the oath ceremony because of overseas travel, I have sent CIC ottawa office letter with supporting itenerary of my over seas travel, I have not heard back, can you please share your experience. thanks

aloksh25

Star Member
Jan 10, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
hi adithya1991 can you please update the result what happened so people who are in similar situation can be benefited
thank you

Bigudi

May 22, 2015
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-05-2015
AOR Received.
20-07-2015
LANDED..........
08-08-2011
Ceremony (oath) no-show
Applicants are given one opportunity to appear for their citizenship ceremony and take the oath of citizenship using notice CIT 0024. Those who do not attend their ceremony will not be rescheduled automatically into a new event.

Applicants who do not or cannot attend their event must notify CIC within 30 days from the date of their event. Applicants must provide a reasonable excuse for not being able to attend their event.

-----------------------------------------------

The Minister may treat an application as abandoned
in the case of an applicant who must take the oath of citizenship to become a citizen, if the applicant fails, without reasonable excuse, to appear and take the oath at the time and at the place—or at the time and by the means—specified in an invitation from the Minister.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/cit/admin/general/abandon.asp