+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Mentally Retarded (not profound) to accompany

rjamesbond

May 30, 2011
Hi there guys... Good day to all.. I would like to ask something from those who can relate and can help me. I have a CHILD who is mentally challenged (Can Understand and speak native language, but cannot write and read well and not physically disabled). His age is 25 y/o already. Can he accompany us to CANADA? we have been approved with our application and now we are waiting for the go signal for MEDICAL EXAMINATIONS. I declared him already upon Application. and another question, can i bring with me my son who pursued Doctor of MEDICINE after graduation and upon approval as nominee, my son's age is 22 years old but upon application, he was 21 y/o? It was stated in the PNPkit " Children who meet the criteria for adult dependant at the TIME you RECEIVE NOMINATION from the province and later change their status (get married, stop/complete UNIVERSITY EDUCATION, have children, etc) CANNOT be included in your application for permanent residence status at a visa office and will likely be withdrawn from your MPNP application.". or i did not clearly understand the legal aspect of the quoted matter.

1. Can A 25 y/o Mentally Challenge child accompany me in Canada?

2. Can a 22y/o child who is taking up his Doctor of Medicine accompany in Canada?

THANK YOU VERY MUCH for your responses! :D :D
Godbless Us all!

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You included both of them in your application? An adult child with a disability can still be considered a dependent child. Is he financially dependent on you? The only concern would be if they are worried that he will cause excessive demand on health care or social services which it doesn't sound like he will. The trick is to make him appear disabled enough to need assistance but not too much assistance. Would he be able to learn English and work a simple job, possibly in a protected environment?

I know when you apply for PR, the age of children under 22 is locked in so they do not have to meet the requirement of being a full time student but I do not know if applying for PNP also locks the age of the child in. You should ask them about that. If the age of your 22 year old was not locked in at the time you applied to PNP, he must be a full time student and financially dependent on you to qualify as a dependent child and he must remain that until he gets his PR.

rjamesbond

May 30, 2011
Leon said:
You included both of them in your application? An adult child with a disability can still be considered a dependent child. Is he financially dependent on you? The only concern would be if they are worried that he will cause excessive demand on health care or social services which it doesn't sound like he will. The trick is to make him appear disabled enough to need assistance but not too much assistance. Would he be able to learn English and work a simple job, possibly in a protected environment?

I know when you apply for PR, the age of children under 22 is locked in so they do not have to meet the requirement of being a full time student but I do not know if applying for PNP also locks the age of the child in. You should ask them about that. If the age of your 22 year old was not locked in at the time you applied to PNP, he must be a full time student and financially dependent on you to qualify as a dependent child and he must remain that until he gets his PR.

Thank you very bro. :D
>>He is financially depedent. he can adapt to his environment as time flies. He can learn english in some way.. he understands basic english words and phrases (questions and answers to it). he used to be in a Special education Learning center wherein primarily they were taught how to count, read ABCDs and read some words. but My son has difficulty in writing letters and numbers in that matter, and reading in words also. He knows some household chores, such as sweeping the lawn and dishwashing. :)
>>So you are saying that my son should continue being a student in College of Medicine? He applied to a leave of absence (LOA) for this school year because its a big no no in the college to be absent for 3 consecutive days. He will be debarred for that matter if it happens. He decided to have LOA so that he can still return in the college if some untoward incidence will happen (hopefully none) to the application. He was asked to submit a document with title "DEMONSTRATION OF CONTINUOUS EDUCATION" with supporting details.

GODBLESS US ALL :)

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If your 22 year old wants to go in on your application, he should stay in college. If he doesn't stay in college, there is a shortage of doctors in Canada so he could immigrate under the skilled worker program without a problem. However, he might face licensing issues in Canada.

toby

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2009
Med's Done....
October 2009 and 15 April 2011
Interview........
4 April 2011
Passport Req..
4 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
7 July 2011
LANDED..........
15 July 2011
Leon is right: the 22 year-old "doctor" should stay in college to simplify the PR application. He won't need to be absent from college while you all wait the long wait for Canada's decision.

Then, if you're given PR, he can come to Canada and follow the regular course to become a Doctor -- and no licensing issues.

rjamesbond

May 30, 2011
My son who was taking up Doctor of medicine last SY 2010-2011 applied for a Leave of Absence since he has an INC status in one item and to be accomplished only in second semester SY 2011-2012. FOr now, he is not studying and waiting for 2nd semester to come for completion. Is this OK? Leave of absence (LOA) is only effective for 1 year. And for this matter, LOA is like a "rest" year for medical students and can be applied only once in the 4-year post grad course. Am I worried for a wrong reason? hehehe :D

My son is learning english words eagerly as of this moment. :))

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
What is your medical student doing during his leave of absence? The criteria is that to count as a dependent child, you must be a full time student since before the age of 22 with no break.

rjamesbond

May 30, 2011
he has been doing nothing... reading books (medical books) and reviewing for IELTS. He has been a full time student before 22 years old. but since he reached 22 years old (october 2010) before the nomination arrived (timeline: Received Nomination- Jan 1, 2011; passed all documents- May 2011; Additional requirements June 2011), what can we do about it? He is not searching for employment while he is in Leave of Absence and might go back to school second semester SY 2011-2012 to complete the incomplete subject he has during SY 2010-2011.

rjamesbond

May 30, 2011
before 22 years old. so i should be indicating that from gradeschool until 22 years old, he is studying full time? the problem is he has gaps. first semester of SY 2009-2010, he did not have any school bound activities since this was the time wherein he was waiting for the result of the Nursing Board Exam and in Second semester SY 2009-2010 he went to school to complete Pre-Medical courses (can be finished in one semester) needed for entry in College of Medicine. SY 2010-2011 He was studying for Doctor of Medicine.

we already have sent the documents indicating only his doctor of medicine course in the form (Demonstration of Continuous Education). hwe did not include the previously stated timeline above.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You can try and if he is not working, that is good because then he is still financially dependent but worst case, if he is refused, he can immigrate himself later because as I said, there is a need for doctors in Canada.

rjamesbond

May 30, 2011
we were required to submit his Complete transcript of the school he has attended at the age 22 upto the present. so we requested a copy from the school and a certification of enrolment. as of the moment, i think its not that hard to prove that he is still dependent on us since we can place june 2010 until april 2011 as School proper for Medicine then from april 2011 to june 2011, we indicated that its the school's summer vacation, unemployed. Is this the correct procedure to be undertaken for this matter?
THANK YOU so much for your comments and suggestions.. I appreciate it very much.
I will connect and share the progress on this matter. Godbless :D