+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Medical & Police Clearence question

vancouverite

Feb 7, 2011
Hi Guys,

I will be getting married in April and then subsequently will be filling our forms for her immigration.
My question is as follows:

A. Can she have her medical AND police clearence done BEFORE marriage under her pre-marital last name?
Is this acceptable to the CIC?

A1. She will eventually be changing her last name to mine, does this have to be done before the application is filed?
A2. Can the change of name be done while the application is in process?
A3. If this is allowed how does one inform CIC about a name change? Does this slow down the process?

B. I will not be returning to Canada immediately after my marriage and will be satying in India for some time and then will be Europe for some work. Does anyone know if I it is acceptable to mail her immigration paperwork (I mean all of it, including my sponsor paperwork) from India while I am still there after our marriage?

I am a Canadian Citized and permanently reside in Canada but my work now has asked me to do some travels for a few weeks after our wedding.

Please shed some light on this for me, any help would be appreciated.

Regards

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
vancouverite said:
Hi Guys,

I will be getting married in April and then subsequently will be filling our forms for her immigration.
My question is as follows:

A. Can she have her medical AND police clearence done BEFORE marriage under her pre-marital last name?
Is this acceptable to the CIC?

A1. She will eventually be changing her last name to mine, does this have to be done before the application is filed?
A2. Can the change of name be done while the application is in process?
A3. If this is allowed how does one inform CIC about a name change? Does this slow down the process?

B. I will not be returning to Canada immediately after my marriage and will be satying in India for some time and then will be Europe for some work. Does anyone know if I it is acceptable to mail her immigration paperwork (I mean all of it, including my sponsor paperwork) from India while I am still there after our marriage?

I am a Canadian Citized and permanently reside in Canada but my work now has asked me to do some travels for a few weeks after our wedding.

Please shed some light on this for me, any help would be appreciated.

Regards
1. yes, but be aware police checks can have short validity periods.

2. I guess that it may be easier to do after PR.

3. It may slow the process - no doubt others will comment.

B. As a Canadian citizen you need to show you will be returning to Canada. ( should be no issue as you are away on a temporary basis ).

Immigration paperwork being sent from India should be OK - others will have personal experience of this, I defer to them.

Check this out: http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/spousal-sponsorship-t46995.0.html;msg344291#msg344291

Please don't cross post the same question.
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/thread-for-applicants-of-new-delhi-2010-t45583.0.html;msg599099#msg599099

Are you sponsoring via India or Kenya ?
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/visitor-visa-for-spouse-of-canadian-citizen-t63977.0.html;msg599105#msg599105

lama21

Jan 5, 2011
Ottawa
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-02-2011
AOR Received.
22-03-2011
File Transfer...
09-03-2011
Med's Done....
06-01-2011
Passport Req..
30-03-2011
VISA ISSUED...
21-04-2011
LANDED..........
01-06-2011
If you want to do police clearance early(before marriage) just make sure you sent your file to the processing office within the first 3mth of the date police clearance was issued to you, coz I think it takes along time to get hold of police clearance from India and the validity for police clearance is for 90days only.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/3999E.asp#cont

Medical is valid basically for 1year and you can get that done probably 2-3 weeks,before you send your file to processing center, so if you visa office is New Delhi which takes approx 6mths to get PR, then you should be good (but again it depends on the case by case basis).

Your wife can either change her name before the file is to be submitted or even better to do it after the PR thingy. But definitely a no no to name change during the application is in process, i wouldn't take that risk. Anyways hope dat helps! good luck!

Oh yea there shouldn't be a problem sending your paper work from India as long as all the mandatory documents are provided and are signed.

waitingintz

Jul 22, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Pretoria
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-07-2010
Doc's Request.
01-11-2010
AOR Received.
28-09-2010
File Transfer...
24-08-2010
Med's Done....
22-06-2010
Interview........
waived!!
Passport Req..
16-02-2011
VISA ISSUED...
22/02/2011
LANDED..........
19-5-2011 (hopefully!)
No problem sending your documentation from India... lots of people send it from overseas.

2 considerations while you are traveling:
1. you want to make sure you have someone reliable checking your mail for you as delays in receiving communication could mess up your entire application (if they want more documents they only give a limited time in which to submit them). Otherwise, the fact that you are traveling is completely irrelevant to the process.
2. your wife will not be able to enter canada before you do (well, is not supposed to) so if her PR comes through while you are away travelling you technically need to enter Canada before she does.

As for name change - when you have been accepted as a sponsor you will receive information from immigration on where to send any updated information.