+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Medical exam for PGWP (nursing student)

FMJeb

Star Member
Mar 15, 2016
Hi everybody. I just completed my Bachelor of Science in Nursing program and I was getting ready to apply for my PGWP. I found out I need a medical exam as I will be working in the health field with hospital patients.
My friends (they are nurses now) applied for PGWP last year told me that they selected "No" when asked if they will be working in healthcare on their PGWP application and still got their work permit with no problem. They are telling me not to bother with getting a medical exam done because there is no way CIC will really know if you are working at a hospital vs. anywhere else in Nursing not with patients.
I am conflicted and I feel like I do not want to risk it because the processing time for PGWP applications is 89 days now and my study permit expires on July 30, 2020. I don't want to risk getting my PGWP refused and then face bigger issues.
The only reason I am hesitant is because a medical exam costs around $400 and I am not doing great financially right now with COVID-19.

Please share any advice/tips! Feel free to share your experience too if you've ever gone through a similar situation!

Thank you :)