Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
May 6, 2013
VISA ISSUED...
May 31, 2013
LANDED..........
June 29, 2013
Hello, i have asked this question in another thread that i created but i think it was forgotten about lol.
I got my medicals done on August 15th, 2012. I planned on submitting our application for spousal sponsorship/permanent residency sometime in the month of September, but now because we have to wait on our marriage certificate as well as my police certificate, we're looking at maybe (hopefully) submitting it sometime within the first or second week of October. Now here's my question:
I know that the medicals expire after 12 months during the time that you are admitted as a permanent resident. If I got my medicals done on August 15th, 2012, and I mail in my application by October 20th the LATEST.... will I have to get my medicals done over again? And if I do, how much longer will it extend the process? And will I also have to pay the 320 dollars i had to pay plus the 50 for the x-ray all over again? Hopefully not since that's obviously not cheap! Oh, and if it helps any. I am a US citizien, my husband is a Canadian citizen and we are filing outland. Thanks in advance :)

linh14

Star Member
Dec 23, 2010
If your application is over 1 year from August 2012, then you have to make a Medical check again before issuing PR.
so. good luck. but i guess from the US, its faster than 1 year.

sakamath

Feb 11, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi, India
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 2008
Doc's Request.
Nov 2011
AOR Received.
17-May-2012
File Transfer...
8 Mar 2012
Med's Request
26-Nov-2012
Med's Done....
24-Dec-2012
Passport Req..
26-Nov-2012
VISA ISSUED...
App abandoned in July '14
In addition, CIC has introduced new procedures that allow the visa officer to extend the validity of medicals for another year. It caters to situations where the period between granting a visa and its validity is too short for a person to enter Canada or simply overshoots.

Refer: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/bulletins/2012/ob423.asp

R151NG5UN

Jun 28, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28 May 2012
AOR Received.
09 July 2012. 2nd stage AOR: 23 Oct 2012
Med's Done....
01 November 2011 (Expired)
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
11/12/12
LANDED..........
12/12/12
Can anybody enlighten me on at what point may they offer an extension? My medicals expire October 31st and at the moment my Ecas is still showing application received (which is what I expect).

Hypothetically does anybody know at what point CIC would say/ determine that once you have your DM that it is not long enough period to land. I.E if PR was granted at the middle of October that would only leave me 2 weeks to land which I could do if I really had to but surely would that not be deemed as insufficient reasonable time?

I understand this is a very hard question to answer accurately

Many thanks!! :D

bscinto92

Apr 8, 2012
Shelton, Connecticut
Category........
Visa Office......
Los Angeles
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 1, 2012
File Transfer...
December 9, 2012
Med's Done....
August 15, 2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
May 6, 2013
VISA ISSUED...
May 31, 2013
LANDED..........
June 29, 2013
well from the US, it's only one month short of a year. it takes 11 months after my husband gets approved to sponsor me, according to the current processing times on the CIC website. i'm still a bit confused though, will i still be safe if i submit my application during the month of october? because by then it will be 2 months since I got the medical examination, which means it would only be valid for 10 more months, and judging by the processing times... i probably won't get permanent residency until 11 months after we've been approved for sponsorship. i just don't want to have to go through all of what i went through the last time, plus have to spend all that money that i cant afford to be dishing out left and right :( thank you for the link with the information about extending medicals! hopefully they will be understanding that we had to wait on some other things that we did not expect to wait this long for.

thanks again for all of your help guys!

R151NG5UN

Jun 28, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28 May 2012
AOR Received.
09 July 2012. 2nd stage AOR: 23 Oct 2012
Med's Done....
01 November 2011 (Expired)
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
11/12/12
LANDED..........
12/12/12
bscinto92 said:
well from the US, it's only one month short of a year. it takes 11 months after my husband gets approved to sponsor me, according to the current processing times on the CIC website. i'm still a bit confused though, will i still be safe if i submit my application during the month of october? because by then it will be 2 months since I got the medical examination, which means it would only be valid for 10 more months, and judging by the processing times... i probably won't get permanent residency until 11 months after we've been approved for sponsorship. i just don't want to have to go through all of what i went through the last time, plus have to spend all that money that i cant afford to be dishing out left and right :( thank you for the link with the information about extending medicals! hopefully they will be understanding that we had to wait on some other things that we did not expect to wait this long for.

thanks again for all of your help guys!
Nobody can tell you for sure if you will be safe or not, as nobody knows for sure. Those times posted on CIC are guidelines on what to expect. Majority of cases take a lot less than 12 months so providing your application is well documented and relatively straight forward then yes it should be completed within a year.

However if your case is not completed within the year but the medical is the only thing stopping PR approval is the medical the Visa office at THEIR DISCRETION may give a 12 month extension if they deem unreasonable times to land. (Hence my question above yours) If they ask you to do another medical then you will be obliged to complete and return the results within their time frame they set out (usually 30 or 60 days)

All you can do is send your application as soon as possible and worry about that way later in your application, not something to worry about just yet.

Good Luck!!! :D

bscinto92

Apr 8, 2012
Shelton, Connecticut
Category........
Visa Office......
Los Angeles
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 1, 2012
File Transfer...
December 9, 2012
Med's Done....
August 15, 2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
May 6, 2013
VISA ISSUED...
May 31, 2013
LANDED..........
June 29, 2013
R151NG5UN said:
Nobody can tell you for sure if you will be safe or not, as nobody knows for sure. Those times posted on CIC are guidelines on what to expect. Majority of cases take a lot less than 12 months so providing your application is well documented and relatively straight forward then yes it should be completed within a year.

However if your case is not completed within the year but the medical is the only thing stopping PR approval is the medical the Visa office at THEIR DISCRETION may give a 12 month extension if they deem unreasonable times to land. (Hence my question above yours) If they ask you to do another medical then you will be obliged to complete and return the results within their time frame they set out (usually 30 or 60 days)

All you can do is send your application as soon as possible and worry about that way later in your application, not something to worry about just yet.

Good Luck!!! :D
thanks so much! as far as i can see, my application is prettty straight forward so the most i can do is just hope for the best and hope they extend it when the time comes! but i should really stop thinking so far in advance lol. thank you for your help, i really appreciate it.

bscinto92

Apr 8, 2012
Shelton, Connecticut
Category........
Visa Office......
Los Angeles
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 1, 2012
File Transfer...
December 9, 2012
Med's Done....
August 15, 2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
May 6, 2013
VISA ISSUED...
May 31, 2013
LANDED..........
June 29, 2013
also! will it help at all if i maybe make a note that we were waiting on some documents and that is caused a delay in us submitting our application? or will they not pay attention to something like that?

Luckyman

Sep 18, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I wouldn't make a note.....as that's the case with everybody. We all have to wait for stuff to submit our application, so that's kind of a given.

Regarding medical....just send it in, look at it this way, if they request a re-do, then your in the same boat as if you re-do it now.....unless you plan to get done before October planned submission date...

I understand every day is an eternity...but in the end I think it's better to get the app out the door....especially if your app is pretty straight forward.

Zouk Princesse

Aug 28, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
POS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-Nov-2011
File Transfer...
17-Jan-2012
Med's Request
VO requested med certificate extension from Ottawa 24-Jul-2012
Med's Done....
16-Jul-2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
24-Jul-2012
VISA ISSUED...
17-Sep-2012
LANDED..........
27-Sep-2012
R151NG5UN said:
Can anybody enlighten me on at what point may they offer an extension? My medicals expire October 31st and at the moment my Ecas is still showing application received (which is what I expect).

Hypothetically does anybody know at what point CIC would say/ determine that once you have your DM that it is not long enough period to land. I.E if PR was granted at the middle of October that would only leave me 2 weeks to land which I could do if I really had to but surely would that not be deemed as insufficient reasonable time?

I understand this is a very hard question to answer accurately

Many thanks!! :D
It really depends on the kindness of your VO. I saw a case where the visa was ready for issuance one month before medicals expired, and the VO called the applicant and offered them the opportunity to send in their passport along with itinerary showing they would land within that month.

However, given that they can now request an extension of your medical certificate, odds are that if they were ready to issue your visa and your meds expire in a few weeks, they would likely just request the extension and then send your PPR.

Zouk Princesse

Aug 28, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
POS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-Nov-2011
File Transfer...
17-Jan-2012
Med's Request
VO requested med certificate extension from Ottawa 24-Jul-2012
Med's Done....
16-Jul-2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
24-Jul-2012
VISA ISSUED...
17-Sep-2012
LANDED..........
27-Sep-2012
This thread is for those currently waiting on an extension. There have only been a few requests thus far.
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/medical-exam-validity-extension-lets-share-our-timelines-t114915.0.html