+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Maximum delay of entrance to Canada after receiving our permanent residence visa

mbqsw

Jun 4, 2011
Estonia
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello,

I have a question I couldn't figure out its answer on official website and also not in the forum:

After receiving permanent residence visa from Federal government (Canadian migration - Quebec skilled workers) ,
how many months is the range of time we have for landing in Canada?
for example can I book a plane ticket 6 months later, to be able to save enough money or maybe finish personal and education plans?

Or alternatively, is it possible to enter Canada right after receiving the permanent residence visa, do the initial official stuff such as applying for the Permanent Residence Card (PR Card) and then leave Canada after a few days?
I know that it takes at least 1 month for the PR to be posted to your mailing address in Canada (I'll give out my brother's address). In this case if I leave Canada before receiving my PR card , I won't be able to come back?! or is there some kind of workaround for this too?
I may not be able to stay in Canada more than 2 weeks at that moment because of university and more importantly my job

But after 6 months, I'll be definitely ready and able to land and stay.
I would also like to travel a couple of times during this period to hopefully find some contacts and look for a job.

I'd really appreciate it if you could give me some information about this :)

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Your PR visa is usually valid for a year from the date of your medicals. If you see that you will not be able to move completely before it expires, you can come to Canada to land as a PR and then leave again. You can give your brothers address for your PR card but do not tell the immigration officer that you will not be there when it arrives or they may decide to withhold it until you are back to stay.

Your brother can mail you the PR card when it arrives. If this doesn't work out, if you are visa exempt, you can come back to Canada using your landing documents and if you are not visa exempt, you can get a PR travel document to go back.

mbqsw

Jun 4, 2011
Estonia
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Leon said:
Your PR visa is usually valid for a year from the date of your medicals. If you see that you will not be able to move completely before it expires, you can come to Canada to land as a PR and then leave again. You can give your brothers address for your PR card but do not tell the immigration officer that you will not be there when it arrives or they may decide to withhold it until you are back to stay.

Your brother can mail you the PR card when it arrives. If this doesn't work out, if you are visa exempt, you can come back to Canada using your landing documents and if you are not visa exempt, you can get a PR travel document to go back.
Hi Leon

Thank you very much for your response. :)

It's very good that the visa period is one year.
I will remember the point about not telling my story to the officer.

No I'm not visa exempt, I'm Iranian and now living in Europe (don't have any European passport)
But if I still couldn't make it in 1 year, how can I apply and receive a PR travel document while I'm outside Canada?
I was checking a page about this , maybe I'm wrong... but don't they only issue the PR travel document to people residing inside Canada or people who have already received their PR Card?
and , do you think my brother can mail the PR Card to me? maybe there are some restrictions on type of documents possible to mail.

You know I still think it's a little risky. we never know when a rule changes.

well... I was thinking , I may get married before migration
is it possible that my wife enter Canada by herself?
and also maybe we come together and do all initial regulations, then I leave and she stays to receive the PR cards

I hope it all work out well

thanks again

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you want to get married, you should either do it soon so you can add your wife to the application before you get the visa or you should leave it until after you land as a PR in which case you would have to sponsor your wife for PR. In order to sponsor your wife for PR, you would have to be residing in Canada already so it would mean you have to be apart.

If you do it soon and add her to the application, as the principal applicant, you have to land either before her or at the same time but afterwards you can go back and she can stay and receive the PR cards.

A travel document is issued to any PR that finds themselves outside Canada without a PR card but still meets the residency requirements of not being outside Canada for 3 years or more in their first 5 years as a PR or any 5 year period after that.

As far as I know, there is no law against mailing PR cards. I have seen somebody say on this forum that it is not allowed but they could not provide any link to a law stating that.