+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Maternity ei help

lovemeow

Sep 1, 2017
Question for Maternity EI

Hi all! Due to the pandemic, I can't get a hold of service canada so I'll try my luck here to ease my anxiety :( i just found out I'm pregnant and due is early December 2019. I worked full-time from November 2018 to October 2019, I left this job and didn't claim any EI. I was unemployed from November 2019 and I recently started a part time temp job which I have no idea how long it'll last. According to the Maternity EI eligibility, I should have worked at least 600 hours in the past 52 weeks. Will I still be eligible for maternity EI even though I had an employment gap? I'm not sure if I can accumulate another 600 hours on my temp job and am super worried for our finances as having a baby ain't cheap :( thank you in advance for you help.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12

Hi all! Due to the pandemic, I can't get a hold of service canada so I'll try my luck here to ease my anxiety :( i just found out I'm pregnant and due is early December 2019. I worked full-time from November 2018 to October 2019, I left this job and didn't claim any EI. I was unemployed from November 2019 and I recently started a part time temp job which I have no idea how long it'll last. According to the Maternity EI eligibility, I should have worked at least 600 hours in the past 52 weeks. Will I still be eligible for maternity EI even though I had an employment gap? I'm not sure if I can accumulate another 600 hours on my temp job and am super worried for our finances as having a baby ain't cheap :( thank you in advance for you help.
It's 52 weeks from when you actually start maternity leave. If you don't have the 600 hours by then, you don't qualify. Given the fact that you have 7 months until you are due, you should have more than enough time to get another job if needed to get the hours

Reactions: canuck78 and scylla

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth

You mentioned that you left this job ? On your own accord, laid off, dismissal?
99% has to be laid off to qualify . Quitting, dismissal will disqualify you from using any part of those hours
Check your ROE. Should say shortage of work in reason
If it says dismissal, quit ....No
Employment gap doesn’t matter, looks at the preceding 52 weeks . If you have the hours =you qualify, if not = you don’t

Last edited:

Beepireed

Apr 17, 2020
Have you tried to ask the government about your case? They may give you more detailed information regarding your situation. Also I assume there should also be some charities or other non-government organization that helps mothers in needs. And last, but not least, have you tried to contact the father of the future baby? Is he ready to support you? If he doesn’t want to do so or say that the baby isn’t his, I guess you can file for paternity things. Usually such guys are sued for alimony.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Have you tried to ask the government about your case? They may give you more detailed information regarding your situation. Also I assume there should also be some charities or other non-government organization that helps mothers in needs. And last, but not least, have you tried to contact the father of the future baby? Is he ready to support you? If he doesn’t want to do so or say that the baby isn’t his, I guess you can file for paternity things. Usually such guys are sued for alimony.
Alimony is spousal support. Child support would be applicable. No need to check with the government EI maternity leave has been explained above and is explained in countless websites. OP does have until December to qualify for EI or if she does not feel like this is the right time for her to have a child there are also options like termination or adoption. There are food banks that may have some supplies if necessary like diapers, formula and baby food but they can be tough to find. There is always welfare although I have just read that you are being sponsored. EI benefits are certainly not a lot of money and so I’d encourage to look at what you can expect to get so you are not surprised if you qualify. You will also qualify for CCB but it does take some time to process. Babies arrive early or you may need to take some time off so I would encourage you to work as much as possible at the beginning of your pregnancy in case you have to take time off along the way or the baby arrives early. I do realize that this isn’t an easy time to find a full-time or second job. You have the added issue of not qualifying for OHIP at the moment and you may not have coverage for the birth. Given the covid 19 unfortunately you can expect delays in processing your application. If you have healthcare in your home country you may want to consider returning home depending on your finances.

Last edited:

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

EI requires you to meet the minimum of insurable hours. Unfortunately you won't be able to count the time from your previous job since this was too long ago. You'll need to accumulate the required hours in your new part time role to qualify.

The employment gap doesn't matter. What matters is that you are able to work 600 hours in your new part time job before having your baby.