+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Maternity and parental benefits

Sovon’s

Jul 29, 2021
Hi,

I am a MSc student. I am living in canada from September 2019. My wife just arrived in canada on july 2021. she doesn’t has any work experience in canada. So instead of her, can i apply for maternity benefits as i have the working hours?

if i get the parental benefits, can i do the TA in my university? Will my benefits reduced if i work as a TA in the university?

Thanks.

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
Hi,

I am a MSc student. I am living in canada from September 2019. My wife just arrived in canada on july 2021. she doesn’t has any work experience in canada. So instead of her, can i apply for maternity benefits as i have the working hours?

if i get the parental benefits, can i do the TA in my university? Will my benefits reduced if i work as a TA in the university?

Thanks.
Your wife doesn't qualify for maternity benefits as it's part of employment insurance and she hasn't been working nor contributed. You cannot apply for maternity benefit as it is specifically for mothers who gave birth biological or surrogates).

You might be eligible for Parental benefits though, depending on if you meet eligibility.

Reactions: scylla