+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Mat Leave Outside of Canada

newbiex

Apr 22, 2020
Hi All,

I wanted to confirm if anyone has been in this situation before?
I travelled out of country and due to high risk pregnancy I am not able to travel back to Canada hence the child won’t be born in Canada. I have worked full-time in Canada, I am eligible according to my hours etc. Can I apply for Mat leave benefits? Considering the child is born outside of Canada.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi All,

I travelled out of country and due to high risk pregnancy I am not able to travel back to Canada hence the child won’t be born in Canada. I have worked full-time in Canada, I am eligible according to my hours etc. Can I apply for Mat leave benefits? Considering the child is born outside of Canada.
When did you stop working in your pregnancy? When did you leave Canada and when did you have your baby?

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Hi All,

Just be warned

The hours required for EI go back up too 600 hrs effective 20220922. That means if you apply after that , in the preceding qualifying period of 52 weeks you need that many hours to apply . So you say you worked full time in Canada, fine . That work had to be done / hours in the preceding 52 weeks prior to filing a claim . So in effect September 2021 onward . Anything earlier it won’t count. And if you QUIT that full time job, it may affect qualifying for benefits.
Just working a full time job doesn’t automatically make one eligible for benefits

And yes you can apply . I found this information easily on the EI website

Canadian Employment Insurance benefits may be paid to you when you reside or work outside Canada in the following situations:

• “your last employment was in Canada, but you now reside in the United States;
  • your permanent residence is in a country other than Canada or the United States, you are applying for maternity, parental, compassionate care or family caregiver benefits and you have a valid Social Insurance”

• you accumulated enough insured hours of work in the 52 weeks before the start of your claim or since the start of your last claim, whichever is shorter
    • until September 24, 2022: you must have accumulated at least 420 insured hours Temporary
    • after September 24, 2022: you must have accumulated at least 600 insured hours

Last edited:
Reactions: Naturgrl