+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Marrying Canada citizen

Karthik0909

Nov 13, 2017
I'm currently on H1B working in USA and planning to marry Canadian citizen.
1) If I marry her can I be canada citizen?
2) If she moves to USA would she be considered as US Citizen or Permanent resident or Canadian citizen?
3)If she moves to USA with Canadian citizen what status would I be?

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
1) No. You would have to be Canadian PR first (your to be spouse can sponsor you for PR) and pass 3/5 year presence inside Canada to qualify for Canadian citizenship first.

2) She would be Canadian holding H4 dependent Visa living in US.

3) Your status would remain the same. H1B Visa status in US. Your marriage to Canadian does nothing to change your status.

Natan

May 22, 2015
2) If she moves to USA would she be considered as US Citizen or Permanent resident or Canadian citizen?
1) After she has sponsored you, and you have applied, for Canadian Permanent Resident Status and you have met the qualifications for citizenship, including the Residency Obligations, you may apply for a grant of citizenship.

2) Unless she renounces her Canadian citizenship (or it is revoked, which only applies to rare criminal cases), she shall remain a Canadian citizen regardless of where she lives. In order for her to live/work in America, if she doesn't already have immigration status to do so, you shall have to sponsor her, and she shall have to apply, for a visa from the U.S. (She is not authorized to live/work in the U.S. without the appropriate immigration status, and she may not be allowed to enter the U.S. while her visa application is in progress.)

3) Marrying a Canadian citizen does not automatically confer Canadian citizenship or the right to live/work in Canada.

AlbertaGovernor

May 29, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

You will first have to apply for PR and then live there for 3 years before you get Canadian Citizenship\

As you are on H1B, she will be your H4 dependent.

As you are on H1B, she will be your H4 dependent.

You look like a troll, but if you are looking for marriage of convenience and want to live in US, better look for a US citizen to get married.

razerblade

VIP Member
Feb 21, 2014
...You look like a troll, but if you are looking for marriage of convenience and want to live in US, better look for a US citizen to get married.
lol. Strange how many people believe marrying a Canadian citizen will give them Citizenship directly. Now that Trump is tightening the noose on H1B holders with much higher scrutiny making it near impossible to renew it, people are looking for new ways to stay in NA.

Reactions: AlbertaGovernor

Stef.

Apr 5, 2017
I married a Canadian many years ago and I had to go through exactly the same rigorous immigration process any other person had to go through. It took me six months before I received permanent residence status (I applied in the UK as my husband and I wanted to move to Canada) and I had to fulfill exactly the same requirements any applicant for citizenship has to, even with 3 Canadian kids and after 25 years of happy marriage. There are no shortcuts.