+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Marrying an international student abroad who's living together and sponsoring them as a PR

jessoabr

Star Member
May 14, 2018
Hello Everyone,

Wondering if anyone could share some insights on this case.

I'm a Canadian PR living in Ontario, planning to get married in India with an International student who'll be living with me. Their student visa is valid until late 2024, however, is it possible to apply for their sponsorship PR after we come back through inland sponsorship program? Can they come back to Canada by keeping their 'student' status?

Thanks!

Mar 16, 2012
India
Category........
Hello Everyone,

Wondering if anyone could share some insights on this case.

I'm a Canadian PR living in Ontario, planning to get married in India with an International student who'll be living with me. Their student visa is valid until late 2024, however, is it possible to apply for their sponsorship PR after we come back through inland sponsorship program? Can they come back to Canada by keeping their 'student' status?

Thanks!
First of All congratulations on ur marriage, yes the student can come back on his student visa and you guys can apply for his permanent residency through inland spousal sponsorship program. Thanks

RashminderSingh24

Nov 22, 2023
Hi, my gf just moved to canada last year and she is living with me she came here on study permit and i am PR its been almost 6 months here together, she directly came here to me as we were friends before and started staying at same address, so now i am thinking to get marry her, but have no idea it can be a common law or i can marry her and apply for her PR. Can it consider fake as i know her from past 9 years but never tell ircc about it while applying for my PR?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hi, my gf just moved to canada last year and she is living with me she came here on study permit and i am PR its been almost 6 months here together, she directly came here to me as we were friends before and started staying at same address, so now i am thinking to get marry her, but have no idea it can be a common law or i can marry her and apply for her PR. Can it consider fake as i know her from past 9 years but never tell ircc about it while applying for my PR?
Marrying will be easier from IRCC perspective. No big deal that you didn't inform IRCC if you hadn't lived together for more than a year before nor married before you bcame a PR.

RashminderSingh24

Nov 22, 2023
Marrying will be easier from IRCC perspective. No big deal that you didn't inform IRCC if you hadn't lived together for more than a year before nor married before you bcame a PR.
Nope! We are not married and nor lived together from 1 year she came here in august 2023 since then we living together and know each other from past 9 years as we graduated from same college in home country. Just don’t wana get in any trouble thats all.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Nope! We are not married and nor lived together from 1 year she came here in august 2023 since then we living together and know each other from past 9 years as we graduated from same college in home country. Just don’t wana get in any trouble thats all.
Don't see any issue, apart from the usual of demonstrating it's a real relationship.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Assume she is also studying on the study permit