+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

married student sponsoring wife

bblm

Jun 22, 2007
Hello I am a Canadian citizen and a student studying in China. I have been with my girlfriend for over 1 year. We plan on moving to Canada in the future and will be married within 1 more year
-planning sponsoring my girlfriend as a permanent resident within 1 1/2- 2 years
-My girlfriend has no dependents.
- I am a student and have no salery

I am wondering if this will cause difficulties when we decide to move to Canada. I know that income is required when the sponsored person has dependents, but my intrpretation was that the sponsoring person did not need to have a salery if he was to sponser his wife. Also how long does the process take? I noticed that the processing times state that it takes only 1 month, but I have repeatedly heard people say that it takes over 1 year to sucessfully bring their wife back to Canada.

Thank you for your help.

MissDominica

Champion Member
May 21, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
POS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
(13-08-2012) 21-08-2014
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
(28-11-2012)
File Transfer...
(22-10-2012) 10-10-2014
Med's Request
Med's Done....
(30-05-2012)
Interview........
(24-10-2013)
Passport Req..
04-11-2014
VISA ISSUED...
24-11-2014
LANDED..........
05-12-2014
There is NO minimum salary/income requirement if your are sponsoring your spouse only.

That being said, you need to convince the VO that you will have enough funds to land, live in Canada without a job (for however long it might take your spouse to find one, if she/he plans to work), and support each other.

If your spouse comes to Canada and you have no money to support him/her and she/he ends up going on welfare, you will be forced to pay it all back as the sponsor. If the VO thinks there's a high possibility of this happening or of you not being able to support yourselves and land properly, it is possible they would not approve you as a sponsor. Refusal for this reason is rare, however, because most people write a letter explaining how they will get by financially (ie. student loans, savings, loan from parents, free rent at parents, support from family members, etc).

As long as you explain that you have a way to support yourselves, you should not be denied for having a low income.