+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Married but separated and in common law relationship

Windragon100576

Star Member
Feb 27, 2014
Please help. My info at cic are married because technically my documents are still with my exhusbands last name. Didnt declare in common law relationship because i didnt know that its possible for me to put married but under type of relationship separated and just mention that i am in a common law relationship. Now i dont know if i can update my info with cic. Please help.

MilesAway

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Warsaw
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-09-2014
Doc's Request.
09-04-2015
AOR Received.
12-11-2014
File Transfer...
30-10-2014
Med's Done....
26-08-2014
Passport Req..
23-04-2015
VISA ISSUED...
07-05-2015
LANDED..........
04-06-2015
As someone else replied earlier, you can try to explain, but I doubt they will grant it because you did not declare him in your original application. He'll have to get a visitor visa or work permit on his own merits.

Windragon100576

Star Member
Feb 27, 2014
MilesAway said:
As someone else replied earlier, you can try to explain, but I doubt they will grant it because you did not declare him in your original application. He'll have to get a visitor visa or work permit on his own merits.
Thank you! One more question.... What if when he apply a visitor visa can I send him an invitation and mention that he is my common law? With that a statutory declaration of common law attached.... What do you think?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Unless you send a letter along where you explain and try to correct your status or better yet, try to correct your status first before applying for his visit visa, immigration may have some questions about how you being married to someone else at the time you arrived in Canada managed to qualify as a common law partner by living with a different person for 12 months after having arrived in Canada when that particular person was staying in another country.

Windragon100576

Star Member
Feb 27, 2014
Leon said:
Unless you send a letter along where you explain and try to correct your status or better yet, try to correct your status first before applying for his visit visa, immigration may have some questions about how you being married to someone else at the time you arrived in Canada managed to qualify as a common law partner by living with a different person for 12 months after having arrived in Canada when that particular person was staying in another country.
Thank you so much Leon :)

Windragon100576

Star Member
Feb 27, 2014
Leon said:
Leon, by the way, where can I start? I mean is there any form I need to fill out and where?

Thank you again!

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I do not know of any particular form to correct misinformation. You'd have to write a letter. I think you would send it to where the work permit applications go. I would try that anyway.

Windragon100576

Star Member
Feb 27, 2014
Leon said:
I do not know of any particular form to correct misinformation. You'd have to write a letter. I think you would send it to where the work permit applications go. I would try that anyway.
Thank you again Leon!