+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Married after ITA (a question of timing)

PetCoke

Mar 14, 2017
Hi,

First of all: congratulations to all of you that got an ITA earlier today.

A few months ago I created an EE profile together with my common-law partner, and we are very excited we received an ITA today. However our plans are to get married next month. Actually I think we are going to get married before we gather all the documents and send the application.

My question is: Is there a way to change my marital status in the application (at this point after the ITA), and send the marriage certificate instead of the common-law certificate?. Or should we go all along and say we are still common-law, in order to be consistent with the original EE profile?

Thank you for your advise!!

Cheers

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
PetCoke said:
My question is: Is there a way to change my marital status in the application (at this point after the ITA), and send the marriage certificate instead of the common-law certificate?. Or should we go all along and say we are still common-law, in order to be consistent with the original EE profile?
Of course you can update your marital status in your eAPR. (If you don't, that would be misrepresentation). But you will have to submit the marriage certificate, and sometimes that will take time.

If you are ready to submit your eAPR now as CLP, there is no reason to wait, you indicate your current status (CLP) and include a LOE about your planned marriage, and simply update IRCC later with the marriage certificate.

Either way, it will have no material consequence to your application, since before and after you are treated the same as "spouses."