+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

marriage with a Canadian citizen

czapla

Nov 22, 2007
Dear Mr Cohen,
I'm in Canada as a live-in-caregiver since August 2006. My worker visa is valid up to November 2009. In August 2007 I married a Canadian citizen. I have to admit that I still work for the same employeer. My question is when I can apply for permanent residency (as it was said on my visa- after 24 months or earlier because of marriage)? or does my husband have to sponsor me? Should I inform the Government about changing my martial status?
Please advice me what is the best in this situation.
Thank you for all information
Czapla

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

czapla said:
Dear Mr Cohen,
I'm in Canada as a live-in-caregiver since August 2006. My worker visa is valid up to November 2009. In August 2007 I married a Canadian citizen. I have to admit that I still work for the same employeer. My question is when I can apply for permanent residency (as it was said on my visa- after 24 months or earlier because of marriage)? or does my husband have to sponsor me? Should I inform the Government about changing my martial status?
Please advice me what is the best in this situation.
Thank you for all information
Czapla
Have your spouse sponsor you.

PMM

MHWP

Nov 26, 2012
Re: Marriage in a foreign country

{1}I am Canadian and want to get married in Sri Lanka to a Sri Lankan. If I get married in Sri Lanka, but we are going to reside in Canada, how long and how much will it cost for my spouse to come to Canada?

[2}What local laws in Sri Lanka will I need to know about and does anyone know if I will have to pay taxes in both countries?

{3}The government website of Canada said if I were to get married in another country, to make sure I research the laws/customs of that country and what getting married there would mean to me.

Re;
"You should learn beforehand about the customs and laws regarding relationships and marriage in the country where the marriage will occur. How the country views women’s rights, premarital sex, child custody, and other issues may be quite different from what we are used to in Canada"

Any Canadians that have married recently in Sri Lanka that knows about Sri Lankan laws and customs and anything else that I need to know?
All help appreciated!!!