+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Marriage on expiring PGWP

Barbiejoo

Feb 23, 2021
Hi there,

My PGWP expires May 2023 but I'm getting married to my bf of 3 years in Feb 2023 and looking to get marriage certificate expedited so we can apply soon.

My question is would this be a red flag? We are only having a small ceremony with each of our parents as we want to save funds to buy a home within the next 5 years... Can we write this as an explanation?

I'm from Sri Lanka so big weddings are kinda normal but he is a Canadian citizen and prefers a smaller wedding to save money. We have been living together since September 2022 and have pictures and chats from January 2020 and our parents our okay to give a letter as well

Please advice!!!!!! And do we need to submit an invitation even if it's just parents to make sure it seems okay?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You have quite a long relationship history so it should be fine. I would explain that you are prioritizing saving for a home versus a large wedding. Perfectly acceptable reason. Having both parents and close family/friends are really what is important.

Barbiejoo

Feb 23, 2021
You have quite a long relationship history so it should be fine. I would explain that you are prioritizing saving for a home versus a large wedding. Perfectly acceptable reason. Having both parents and close family/friends are really what is important.
Thanks for responding! To clarify is it better for us to get a wedding invitation done even if it's just parents only?
And would it be a red flag if my PGWP is expiring soon? And if so would our relationship history suffice to over come this

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks for responding! To clarify is it better for us to get a wedding invitation done even if it's just parents only?
And would it be a red flag if my PGWP is expiring soon? And if so would our relationship history suffice to over come this
No need for wedding invitations. What is more important is pictures of your wedding and any small reception or meal you have afterwards. Proof that you have been living together since 2022 and in a relationship longer should provide proof that you are in a genuine relationship. I would include a short explanation that you had a small ceremony because you are prioritizing saving for a home. Compared to most couples you should have quite a lot of proof of being in a genuine relationship.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thank you, mea culpa, I missed that.

With evidence of living together, this really shouldn't be a problematic application. Of course getting a civil marriage and applying earlier might be considered.
Wouldn’t suggest a civil marriage earlier. Wait until February. Pictures with parents at the wedding are better. It’s just a month.

Barbiejoo

Feb 23, 2021
Do you live together? When did you start living together? If not, when do you plan to start living together.
Hi there,

Yes we live together as of September 2022 and we also have a joint account into which we use for our groceries and expenses.

Barbiejoo

Feb 23, 2021
Wouldn’t suggest a civil marriage earlier. Wait until February. Pictures with parents at the wedding are better. It’s just a month.
Hey Thanks so much for your input! I also had one more question. For proof of living together, the lease is under my fiance's name but we both have a joint bank account to settle expenses and my bank statements and drivers license show Same address as of September 2022. Would this be enough if we don't have a lease?