+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

marriage after SP approval and before srriving to the border

Zcvxcv

Star Member
Oct 5, 2021
Hello, may I ask please. If i got married after SP is approved but before I arrive to Canada, and my spouse will not accompany me, will she need to give medical test or biometrics?

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello, may I ask please. If i got married after SP is approved but before I arrive to Canada, and my spouse will not accompany me, will she need to give medical test or biometrics?
Yes to get a TRV. Are you doing a master or PhD? Are you aware that there are new rules for SOWP and international students? Do you already have a study permit? If you do I would encourage your spouse to apply for an SOWP right now and hope that it might be approved. It hasn’t been announced when SOWP will start being denied so they may still be being approved. Even before the rule changes your spouse may have been denied an SOWP especially in cases of relatively new marriages because IRCC knows that some marriages are purely due to immigration and many only get married after securing a SP or during their studies. The wording confuses people but it has always said that spouses of international students may qualify for SOWP not that it was guaranteed.

Reactions: Zcvxcv

Zcvxcv

Star Member
Oct 5, 2021
Yes to get a TRV. Are you doing a master or PhD? Are you aware that there are new rules for SOWP and international students? Do you already have a study permit? If you do I would encourage your spouse to apply for an SOWP right now and hope that it might be approved. It hasn’t been announced when SOWP will start being denied so they may still be being approved. Even before the rule changes your spouse may have been denied an SOWP especially in cases of relatively new marriages because IRCC knows that some marriages are purely due to immigration and many only get married after securing a SP or during their studies. The wording confuses people but it has always said that spouses of international students may qualify for SOWP not that it was guaranteed.
Yes I know about new rules. The thing is I have SP but my studies will start on May. I'm going to get married but she will stay home as I will be approved through Healthcare Category based draw as I have 462 points now. Then I want to include her after I receive ITA.

But the thing is, if I get married now, i will need to inform IRCC about my change in marital status for Study permit. So I think will she need to give medicals and biometrics before I start my studies in May? because I heard that if I arrive to Canada married but without informing IRCC about my marital status change, it will be a misrep.

Feb 8, 2024
Afghanistan
Category........
Other
Visa Office......
Not
NOC Code......
Not
Hello, I am Aman Ahmadzai, a domestic cricket player from Afghanistan. I want to go to Canada and continue playing cricket there, so please help me.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Yes I know about new rules. The thing is I have SP but my studies will start on May. I'm going to get married but she will stay home as I will be approved through Healthcare Category based draw as I have 462 points now. Then I want to include her after I receive ITA.

But the thing is, if I get married now, i will need to inform IRCC about my change in marital status for Study permit. So I think will she need to give medicals and biometrics before I start my studies in May? because I heard that if I arrive to Canada married but without informing IRCC about my marital status change, it will be a misrep.
You should inform IRCC about the change in your marital status via webform and would specify the name of your spouse but your spouse does not have to do a medical and biometrics for you to land with a study permit. That would be the case for PR. For the PR application your spouse would need to be added to your application before you could land as a PR.

Would not count on receiving ITA before you have received ITA.

Reactions: Zcvxcv