+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Mandatory face mask (COVID-19) will affect your speaking section

IamLuke

Jun 21, 2020
Category........
CEC
Sharing my experience:
Below is what I got, and I must say that I am not happy with the speaking score:
L=8.5 R=8 W=8 S=7

Wearing the mandatory face mask (COVID-19) during speaking not only affects your ability to speak but also makes it hard to understand the interviewer due to the covering of their mouth with a mask. Had the interviewer not cover her mouth, I could have well read her lips to fully understand the questions. As such, I had to ask for clarification multiple times, which ultimately affected my score. Expressing myself verbally is something I am completely comfortable with, and I was aiming 8.

I wish they used a glass shield instead of masks. So guys, this is just a heads up, and I wish you good luck.

orwell46

Apr 29, 2020
Sharing my experience:
Below is what I got, and I must say that I am not happy with the speaking score:
L=8.5 R=8 W=8 S=7

Wearing the mandatory face mask (COVID-19) during speaking not only affects your ability to speak but also makes it hard to understand the interviewer due to the covering of their mouth with a mask. Had the interviewer not cover her mouth, I could have well read her lips to fully understand the questions. As such, I had to ask for clarification multiple times, which ultimately affected my score. Expressing myself verbally is something I am completely comfortable with, and I was aiming 8.

I wish they used a glass shield instead of masks. So guys, this is just a heads up, and I wish you good luck.
Where did you take your test? I mean which city? Was it via British council?

Scalphunter

Star Member
Jun 20, 2020
I gave my exam on July 25th in Portland, Oregon. We had to wear the masks as well, but everything went fine in the speaking section. Haven't gotten the score yet but it was smooth sailing.

Scalphunter

Star Member
Jun 20, 2020
Just got my score. First attempt in Portland, Oregon on July 25, 2020.

Listening: 9
Reading: 9
Writing: 7
Speaking: 8.5
Overall: 8.5

Had to wear a mask while speaking, so the mask really isn't an issue.

I messed up in writing task 1 and erased the end of a sentence to rephrase it and the time ran out. I'm certain that cost me a lot. I'll be applying for a writing remark. I need 7.5 to get the maximum CRS score, so I hope it goes up to a 7.5.

chandnidesai

Jul 9, 2020
Just got my score. First attempt in Portland, Oregon on July 25, 2020.

Listening: 9
Reading: 9
Writing: 7
Speaking: 8.5
Overall: 8.5

Had to wear a mask while speaking, so the mask really isn't an issue.

I messed up in writing task 1 and erased the end of a sentence to rephrase it and the time ran out. I'm certain that cost me a lot. I'll be applying for a writing remark. I need 7.5 to get the maximum CRS score, so I hope it goes up to a 7.5.
How did you manage to score so extremely exceptional score, Please guide me I am also determined to score this desired score.