+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Maintaining US and Canadian PR by commuting to Canada from US

Falcon_7X

Apr 12, 2021
Hi Everyone

I am new to this forum and not sure if my this specific question has been answered, specially in light of recent developments at the border. Here is my situation:

I became US permanent resident in October, 2020 (after waiting for 10+ years in employment based case) while I was going through Canadian PR application. Last week we got Canadian COPR documents for the whole family with document expiration date in September 2021. Currently we are debating and trying to figure out a way if we (or at least one of us) can maintain Canadian PR while staying in US. My wife has been working from home for the past 10 years and she can essentially move anywhere in US and can continue to work with same employer. I am interested in starting my own business. One of the option we are thinking is to move to Detroit area. My wife and kids will stay in Detroit Michigan and I can commute to Windsor area on a daily basis to manage by business/job there ( I still need to figure that portion out). Our goal is that at least one us ( myself or my wife) can satisfy three year Canadian residency requirements and become Citizen. I understand that current border conditions might not allow it, but this situation/question is for the future where hopefully things will go back to normal.

With this plan we will maintain strong ties to US and hopefully can avoid any CBP issues at the border and still be able to meet Canadian residency requirements.

I just wanted to ask expert's advise on this situation and see if this plan has any chances of success or if it is too optimistic...

I appreciate your time and responses.

Thank you

Tubsmagee

Jul 2, 2016
Hi Everyone

I am new to this forum and not sure if my this specific question has been answered, specially in light of recent developments at the border. Here is my situation:

I became US permanent resident in October, 2020 (after waiting for 10+ years in employment based case) while I was going through Canadian PR application. Last week we got Canadian COPR documents for the whole family with document expiration date in September 2021. Currently we are debating and trying to figure out a way if we (or at least one of us) can maintain Canadian PR while staying in US. My wife has been working from home for the past 10 years and she can essentially move anywhere in US and can continue to work with same employer. I am interested in starting my own business. One of the option we are thinking is to move to Detroit area. My wife and kids will stay in Detroit Michigan and I can commute to Windsor area on a daily basis to manage by business/job there ( I still need to figure that portion out). Our goal is that at least one us ( myself or my wife) can satisfy three year Canadian residency requirements and become Citizen. I understand that current border conditions might not allow it, but this situation/question is for the future where hopefully things will go back to normal.

With this plan we will maintain strong ties to US and hopefully can avoid any CBP issues at the border and still be able to meet Canadian residency requirements.

I just wanted to ask expert's advise on this situation and see if this plan has any chances of success or if it is too optimistic...

I appreciate your time and responses.

Thank you
It seems like it would be a lot of work. I commuted between US and CND on west coast for about 6 months, and it is a drag. I have never crossed at Detroit, but crossing the border daily for years would suck.

I imagine it is possible that you could all land to get status, and then maintain it by crossing daily (you) and regularly (family) into Canada. Depending on how far from border you live, it may be possible for entire family to keep within residency obligation by crossing the border a couple of times a week.

My spouse was a US PR, and I found the US immigration to be much more aggressive regarding intent, and imagine that you might find yourself facing additional questions from the US side about purpose of travel.

Reactions: canuck78

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Agree that the US is much more adamant about choosing one or the other. We are set for an election so there could technically be changes in policy in Canada as well,