+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Maintaining PR Status when moving to Canada for the last 2 years out of 5.

frolic999

Nov 22, 2015
Hello there,

I have held the canadian PR for sometime now and its due to expire in Jan 2023. I have only spent a few days in Canada so far and if I don't move by the end of this year, I won't be able to meet the minimum requirement of 2 years.

My question is: What happens if I move but fall short of the minimum requirements? Will I be able to re-apply? Would it be a new application over all?

What would the next steps be, when lets say I do end up moving this year, yet for whatever reason I end up traveling a but and fail to meet the requirements by the end of the expiration. Is there a measure where I can re-apply while staying there?

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
So by January 2023 that is 5 years since you landed or the validity of your PR card ? The residency obligation starts from the day you land so PRcard validity is not relevant.

PR status never expires and can only be revoked or renounced. Only PR cards expire

So if you make it back before end 2020 you will need to stay put for minimum 2 years to meet the residency obligation and should not apply to renew PR card until you have.

If you return to Canada 2021 onwards there is always the chance that you get reported on entry subject to appeal for
failing the RO. You as a PR would still be entitled to enter the country and if not reported then you need stay put for minimum 2 years.

Travelling out/into the country having not met the RO will leave you open to being reported on each new entry leading to PR status being revoked.

PR status is not something to be given up easily so whilst if your status is revoked or you renounce you can reapply assuming you qualify whether you could stay in Canada during a new application depends on circumstances at the time So not a straightforward answer

Last edited:

frolic999

Nov 22, 2015
Thank you both for responding.

So the landing was in the end of Nov 2017. Technically, then I only have until Nov 2020 and stay put to meet the 730 day requirement until Nov 2022. This would limit my international travel by the number of days I've spent in Canada already which is not more than a month TBH.

Let's say I'm not reported and I stay put in the country, I won't have to renew my PR card unless I'm traveling internationally, correct?

Let's say I'm unable to meet the requirement of 730 days since the landing but remain in Canada until I complete the minimum requirement to apply for the citizenship, wouldn't the part of me not meeting the 730 day requirement hurt my Citizenship application?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thank you both for responding.

So the landing was in the end of Nov 2017. Technically, then I only have until Nov 2020 and stay put to meet the 730 day requirement until Nov 2022. This would limit my international travel by the number of days I've spent in Canada already which is not more than a month TBH.

Yes you got it.

Let's say I'm not reported and I stay put in the country, I won't have to renew my PR card unless I'm traveling internationally, correct?

Yes.

Let's say I'm unable to meet the requirement of 730 days since the landing but remain in Canada until I complete the minimum requirement to apply for the citizenship, wouldn't the part of me not meeting the 730 day requirement hurt my Citizenship application?
No. you can also apply to renew your PR card once you become compliant with your RO.

In general the closer you come to meeting your RO the more forgiving the immigration officer tends to be. If you can’t make your RO try to arrive as soon as possible.