+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Lower Limb Amputation and Canada PR

Sahu

Aug 8, 2019
We are applying in Express Entry program from India but have a question related to Medical requirements of our son.
Our son was born with deformed foot for which he has already undergone surgery and now wears prosthesis.
He is 1 year old and does not need any assistance for his activities. He is a thriving healthy child.
Will his requirement and dependency on lower limb prosthesis become a roadblock for PR?

We have come to know that Canada does not allow children with disabilities but he is not disabled and is fully capable of doing all his activities.

Kindly help so that we can make an informed decision

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
We are applying in Express Entry program from India but have a question related to Medical requirements of our son.
Our son was born with deformed foot for which he has already undergone surgery and now wears prosthesis.
He is 1 year old and does not need any assistance for his activities. He is a thriving healthy child.
Will his requirement and dependency on lower limb prosthesis become a roadblock for PR?

We have come to know that Canada does not allow children with disabilities but he is not disabled and is fully capable of doing all his activities.

Very hard to comment. Prosthetics are very expensive so that alone could be an issue especially because he is growing and will grow out of prothetic devices numerous times. He could also need other medical devices or accommodations. Also need things like OT or physio. This is a very individual case.

Sahu

Aug 8, 2019
Thanks for the answer. We already have a medical fund of upto USD 100,000 for him covering cost for the next 5 years and also have additional international medical insurance.
If we show these funds, will we still be rejected?

We are very keen to get out of the country so that we can give a better upbringing to him.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks for the answer. We already have a medical fund of upto USD 100,000 for him covering cost for the next 5 years and also have additional international medical insurance.
If we show these funds, will we still be rejected?

We are very keen to get out of the country so that we can give a better upbringing to him.
That doesn’t matter because once you have access to provincial medical care you would access that first. Would mention that there are plenty of things that aren’t covered by provincial healthcare so you will likely need access to some of those funds if you immigrate to Canada.

Sahu

Aug 8, 2019
Thanks, this is really helpful. We think we should connect with an Immigration lawyer in Canada to get a clearer picture before applying.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks, this is really helpful. We think we should connect with an Immigration lawyer in Canada to get a clearer picture before applying.
If you want to apply I would apply by yourself if you are comfortable with the forms. I assume you will likely get a procesural fairness letter and I would employ a lawyer with successful PFL replies for a reply.

DogAdmirer

Jul 11, 2014
I am amputee and got my PR few years ago.In terms of cost, prosthesis is not threat to canadian health care and doesn't exceed threshold limit.

Cheers,

Reactions: jobin05

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I am amputee and got my PR few years ago.In terms of cost, prosthesis is not threat to canadian health care and doesn't exceed threshold limit.

Cheers,
For children it may be different because they need so many as they grow. For an adult the cost would be less without constantly outgrowing prosthetics. Assume some children have different prosthetics for different activities. They should definitely try to apply and price it out and how many replacements are likely needed during the growth phase. Will other therapies like OT or physio or a wheelchair be needed as well?

Sahu

Aug 8, 2019
Thanks for the answer. No he does not need OT or Physio or wheelchair. He is fully-abled and currently requires adjustment to his prosthesis twice a year which is fully covered under Warranty and insurance.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks for the answer. No he does not need OT or Physio or wheelchair. He is fully-abled and currently requires adjustment to his prosthesis twice a year which is fully covered under Warranty and insurance.
Prosthetics wear out and are expensive. That will be the major expense. Have no idea the actual cost.

ehi0529

Apr 18, 2021
Minors and dependents are exempted.
Exemptions from inadmissibility on grounds of excessive demand
As per paragraphs R24, R117(g) and R139(4), excessive demand determinations under A38(1)(c) do not apply to:
  • spouse, common-law partner or conjugal partner
  • a dependent child (including an adopted a child) of the sponsor, or of the sponsor’s spouse, common-law partner or conjugal partner;
  • Convention Refugees;
  • protected persons.
Although such individuals must undertake a full immigration medical examination, they are not assessed for excessive demand.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Minors and dependents are exempted.
Exemptions from inadmissibility on grounds of excessive demand
As per paragraphs R24, R117(g) and R139(4), excessive demand determinations under A38(1)(c) do not apply to:
  • spouse, common-law partner or conjugal partner
  • a dependent child (including an adopted a child) of the sponsor, or of the sponsor’s spouse, common-law partner or conjugal partner;
  • Convention Refugees;
  • protected persons.
Although such individuals must undertake a full immigration medical examination, they are not assessed for excessive demand.
Minors and dependents are only exempted if one parent has PR which wasn't the case. You are replying to an old post.

JSTOOR

Aug 5, 2020
I had kidney Transplant in 2007, now on Immuno Suppressive medication, doing well & my wife is Principal Applicant for Home Child Care Provider Pilot progarmme, applied as outside applicant, AOR receiverd,
Can somebody suggest that Kidney Transplant could be medical inadmissibility in my case ??

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I had kidney Transplant in 2007, now on Immuno Suppressive medication, doing well & my wife is Principal Applicant for Home Child Care Provider Pilot progarmme, applied as outside applicant, AOR receiverd,
Can somebody suggest that Kidney Transplant could be medical inadmissibility in my case ??
Yes it could.