+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Lost Visitor Status But Have Work Permit - Stuck?

andreavalim

Jan 10, 2017
Good afternoon, everyone. I have been really frustrated the past few days because I have been living in Canada for 3 years, restoring and extending my visas and stuff, last time (May 2016) I applied for a Post-Grad visa and received a paper to attach to my passport. But I forgot to extend my visitor visa. In fact, I didn't know you have to have both. I did it on my own and I guess I didn't know a lot, so now I travelled to Spain to visit family and when I tried to come back, surprise. In Paris they stopped me.

Now I came back to Spain because it was closer to Paris (my native country is Brazil) and I used the Come to Canada tool to see in which category I would fit in, and I applied as Visitor Within Canada - because when it asked me for my home address, I gave where I live, which is in Canada, and not where I am at, because Im just a visitor here in Spain... nor in Brazil, because I haven't lived there in 3 years. The visitor visa expired in July 31st, I think... so I was in Canada with a valid work permit (valid till Nov 2017) but I didn't know of the TRV (I thought I had both)...

So now I am literally freaking out because Im in Spain, not knowing when it will happen (processing times from visitor within canada says 7 days, but for extension it says 36 days, and I don't know which one mine will be considered) and meanwhile my employer is waiting for me and Im afraid Im going to lose my 2 jobs...

Have anyone been in my situation before, or have knowledge of what might happen? Is this bad? Can I still come back to Canada? Literally Im paying rent, phone, I have a million on leases and car, insurance, etc, and I don't want them to throw my stuff in the street or to have a bad credit but I can't afford this for much longer.

If this is not bad and you think Ill receive a visa, should I stay in Spain for a few more days? Or should I go back to Brazil and wait?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
You definitely need a valid TRV to return to Canada. You should be applying for a new TRV rather than an extension.

I'm not sure anyone here will be able to tell you for certain how long it will take to get an approved TRV. Could be anywhere from days to weeks (I think months is unlikely). I think the TRV will definitely be approved. It's just hard to say how long you will have to wait.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Just to add to my note above, you can't apply for a TRV from within Canada since you aren't physically in Canada. You have to apply for a TRV from outside of Canada. If you have applied for a TRV from within Canada, I would withdraw and reapply using the outside of Canada selection. If you stick with the within Canada approach, I think your application will end up being refused and you'll have to reapply - creating more delays. You should use your temporary address in Spain.

andreavalim

Jan 10, 2017
Hmmm now you got me thinking. Maybe it would be best if I came back to Brazil then, which is where I have my citizenship? I can also go to the embassy and ask for more information. I find it always hard to find a contact number or a place to refer when I have a question.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
andreavalim said:
Hmmm now you got me thinking. Maybe it would be best if I came back to Brazil then, which is where I have my citizenship? I can also go to the embassy and ask for more information. I find it always hard to find a contact number or a place to refer when I have a question.
There is no need to go to Brazil; that would only delay you further.

As scylla said, you need to apply for a new TRV from outside of Canada.