+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Lost Passport, How can IRCC Verify My Physical Residency?

hungkubu

Star Member
Nov 24, 2020
Hello everyone,

I have lost my old passport, I only keep photo copy of Biographical page and pages of stamps. As I know CBSA only track entry into Canada, not exit, so how can IRCC verify my physical residency? Will they reject my application or trigger RQ? Please advise, any of your advice is valuable to me.

Thanks!

E10452

Jan 6, 2017
Hello everyone,

I have lost my old passport, I only keep photo copy of Biographical page and pages of stamps. As I know CBSA only track entry into Canada, not exit, so how can IRCC verify my physical residency? Will they reject my application or trigger RQ? Please advise, any of your advice is valuable to me.

Thanks!
Hello ,

the same situation happened with someone I know , he lost his passport right after he landed as PR . So he went to police station and made an official declaration that he lost his passport .
the police Wrote a report about the situation and they gave him a copy about that report .
He attached the report , along with a copy of the lost passport ( the bio page only ) and a letter explaining how he lost his passport and why he cannot submit to IRCC as a valid document .
He submitted all the above ( police report , his letter , and passport bio page copy ) for citizenship application .
Everything went fine for him , he got his AOR and waiting for his test .
Good luck .
N.B: you need to mention the lost passport number on ur citizenship application even if you don’t have it , as well as your valid one.

hungkubu

Star Member
Nov 24, 2020
Hello ,

the same situation happened with someone I know , he lost his passport right after he landed as PR . So he went to police station and made an official declaration that he lost his passport .
the police Wrote a report about the situation and they gave him a copy about that report .
He attached the report , along with a copy of the lost passport ( the bio page only ) and a letter explaining how he lost his passport and why he cannot submit to IRCC as a valid document .
He submitted all the above ( police report , his letter , and passport bio page copy ) for citizenship application .
Everything went fine for him , he got his AOR and waiting for his test .
Good luck .
N.B: you need to mention the lost passport number on ur citizenship application even if you don’t have it , as well as your valid one.
Many thanks E10452 for your advice, I have the report from police also. I am just worried that in the interview the IRCC official will find it difficult to check physical residency because we could not show the original passport and trigger Residency Questionnaire, which will take very long time.

Andychimes

Dec 1, 2020
Hi there,

Hope it's ok to ask a similar question (Without meaning to hijack this thread)

I lost the passport I used for landing a couple of years ago. Reported it lost and got issued a new one. The missing passport ended up being recovered (After it was cancelled). So I have a copy of the missing passport but worried about the fact I will have two passports on my application form with neither being expired.

Should I make a note of this on the application or wait till the interview portion to explain?

E10452

Jan 6, 2017
Many thanks E10452 for your advice, I have the report from police also. I am just worried that in the interview the IRCC official will find it difficult to check physical residency because we could not show the original passport and trigger Residency Questionnaire, which will take very long time.
Your very welcome ,
No don’t worry they can easily check those information even without looking at the straps of your passport . CBSA already have all the data and this won’t cause any delays since nothing is suspicious . So just write a letter explaining what happened , attached it to the copy of your passport , as well as the police report and you will be more than okay .

Reactions: hungkubu

E10452

Jan 6, 2017
Hi there,

Hope it's ok to ask a similar question (Without meaning to hijack this thread)

I lost the passport I used for landing a couple of years ago. Reported it lost and got issued a new one. The missing passport ended up being recovered (After it was cancelled). So I have a copy of the missing passport but worried about the fact I will have two passports on my application form with neither being expired.

Should I make a note of this on the application or wait till the interview portion to explain?
Hello ,
Once you report a lost passport , and a new one is issued , this automatically cancel the previous one even if it was found later on .
So same case , write the 2 passport numbers in ur application ( lost and valid ) , have the police report with u , and write a letter explaining what happened.
Once you go for the interview with the IRCC official you have 2 options :
1-Either don’t show the lost passport and still consider it as never found, because technically it has no value .
2- show both passports and explain that you found it after you reported it as lost .
But my opinion will be that to show both passports , and explain with a letter what happened and that you found it after you had previously reported it as lost .
Crystal clear and honesty , and they won’t have to dig any deeper , since you have the evidence ( police report , both passports and your letter ).
Good luck

E10452

Jan 6, 2017
Your very welcome ,
No don’t worry they can easily check those information even without looking at the stamps of your passport . CBSA already have all the data and this won’t cause any delays since nothing is suspicious . So just write a letter explaining what happened , attached it to the copy of your passport , as well as the police report and you will be more than okay .

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
1-Either don’t show the lost passport and still consider it as never found, because technically it has no value .
2- show both passports and explain that you found it after you reported it as lost .
Just tell the truth, this is not the first time someone has reported a passport lost and then had it returned or found it after it being cancelled and replaced with a new one. It's not suspicious or remotely out of the ordinary.

Although yes, it most likely is no longer valid and one should not try to use it.

Andychimes

Dec 1, 2020
Thanks so much everyone really appreciate the advice! Would you include a letter of explanation in your initial application or wait till the interview to explain?

Another area of concern is I do not have a police report. It was several years ago and memory is a little fuzzy. I do recall reporting it lost but no memory of receiving a police report or which station I went to even. I do have copies of the emails to the embassy reporting it lost.

hungkubu

Star Member
Nov 24, 2020
Your very welcome ,
No don’t worry they can easily check those information even without looking at the straps of your passport . CBSA already have all the data and this won’t cause any delays since nothing is suspicious . So just write a letter explaining what happened , attached it to the copy of your passport , as well as the police report and you will be more than okay .
Thanks E10452 for your advice. As I know CBSA only track entries into Canada, not exits, so how can IRCC and CBSA verify my physical residency?

Usher9387

Star Member
Apr 21, 2015
Is it necessary to submit all the old passport info or carry with us. What you guys do if you have more than one passport that is older than 10yrs.

The current passport is valid for last 10 yrs(2010- 2020),prior to that one is only 5 yrs.(2005-2010) etc.

E10452

Jan 6, 2017
Thanks E10452 for your advice. As I know CBSA only track entries into Canada, not exits, so how can IRCC and CBSA verify my physical residency?
I don’t know exactly how , but they have all the means and capabilities for that . They can even know what was ur seat number on the plane u took . Once they want to know they will for sure .
Just always be honest and don’t odd anything, if they got suspicious, than they won’t stop till they know the whole story .

Reactions: hungkubu

E10452

Jan 6, 2017
Is it necessary to submit all the old passport info or carry with us. What you guys do if you have more than one passport that is older than 10yrs.

The current passport is valid for last 10 yrs(2010- 2020),prior to that one is only 5 yrs.(2005-2010) etc.
If I’m not mistaken , and as per CIC application you just need to show the travel documents that you had in the last 5 year from the date of your application .
Every passport prior to the 5 years period And if it’s expired you don’t need to mention it.
But if you renewed your passport for 10 years and still valid and even if it goes back prior to the 5 years period , you still need to mention it on your application .