+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Looking to migrate to Canada from SL within a year or two, what are my options?

aaronperies

May 15, 2024
I'm a software engineer and I hope to migrate to Canada within the next 2 years. I'm looking up Software Engineer jobs in SL for the time being and hoping to save up around 2 mil before moving. But what are my options? I'm hoping to get married (GF is in Canada already for studies) and settle down there with a job. Flying under a student permit is further down on my list and something I am willing to consider only if work is impossible.

I'm eyeing Vancouver over Toronto and have no problem with doing remote work for a company over there (remote work WHILE in Canada I mean). But is there anyone I can talk to who can give me some solid guidance on how to achieve this or something ?? Anyone who has personal experience with a similar matter ? I'm not picky over my work arrangement (on-site, remote / hybrid) as long as I can get a well paying job in my field in Canada so I can migrate and move ahead with my life. I'm trying to rack up some work experience so that I have something to show as proof that I am capable of the job I'm applying for. Any suggestions, links, blog posts, whatever will be greatly appreciated.

Reactions: ahsan nawaz

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
You’re putting the cart before the proverbial horse

You need to get a work permit for a company. Most won’t go to the effort to sponsor a foreigner since there’s so many in the IT field already here looking for work that don’t need sponsorship

How many points do you have to immigrate?

Reactions: foodie69

lossada

Sep 5, 2017
I'm a software engineer and I hope to migrate to Canada within the next 2 years. I'm looking up Software Engineer jobs in SL for the time being and hoping to save up around 2 mil before moving. But what are my options? I'm hoping to get married (GF is in Canada already for studies) and settle down there with a job. Flying under a student permit is further down on my list and something I am willing to consider only if work is impossible.

I'm eyeing Vancouver over Toronto and have no problem with doing remote work for a company over there (remote work WHILE in Canada I mean). But is there anyone I can talk to who can give me some solid guidance on how to achieve this or something ?? Anyone who has personal experience with a similar matter ? I'm not picky over my work arrangement (on-site, remote / hybrid) as long as I can get a well paying job in my field in Canada so I can migrate and move ahead with my life. I'm trying to rack up some work experience so that I have something to show as proof that I am capable of the job I'm applying for. Any suggestions, links, blog posts, whatever will be greatly appreciated.
Brazil is a great option,,, not need to much to migrate there, Curitiba is a great city

• Love
Reactions: Cassiano

aaronperies

May 15, 2024
You’re putting the cart before the proverbial horse

You need to get a work permit for a company. Most won’t go to the effort to sponsor a foreigner since there’s so many in the IT field already here looking for work that don’t need sponsorship

How many points do you have to immigrate?
Okay so what are my options then, I'm 24 years old, I have a first class honors degree from the UK, I know its extremely difficult to get hired while staying outside of Canada. So what do you think my options are? Staying in SL for a couple more years, getting some experience and directly applying for PR? Or going for a short diploma or Masters and then finding employment during + after graduation? I'm open to a lot of things man, just trying to make the necessary arrangements.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Okay so what are my options then, I'm 24 years old, I have a first class honors degree from the UK, I know its extremely difficult to get hired while staying outside of Canada. So what do you think my options are? Staying in SL for a couple more years, getting some experience and directly applying for PR? Or going for a short diploma or Masters and then finding employment during + after graduation? I'm open to a lot of things man, just trying to make the necessary arrangements.
Do you hold a UK passport?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
No, I do not.
So my advice is to assume that finding a job in Canada as a temporary worker won't be possible. This is generally very difficult to do.

Most realistic options are to come to Canada on a study permit as an international student. Or to focus on increasing your score as much as possible to qualify to apply for PR directly. This will most likely involve getting a master's and also taking the French language test.

Alternatively if you end up being married or common law with your GF she can either include you in her PR application or sponsor you for PR later.

By all means try to secure a job in Canada. Just assume there's quite a low chance that will actually happen.

aaronperies

May 15, 2024
So my advice is to assume that finding a job in Canada as a temporary worker won't be possible. This is generally very difficult to do.

Most realistic options are to come to Canada on a study permit as an international student. Or to focus on increasing your score as much as possible to qualify to apply for PR directly. This will most likely involve getting a master's and also taking the French language test.

Alternatively if you end up being married or common law with your GF she can either include you in her PR application or sponsor you for PR later.

By all means try to secure a job in Canada. Just assume there's quite a low chance that will actually happen.
Thank you for the reply. I am currently on the lookout for any canadian companies that may have branches here in SL or vice versa, to see if a transfer to the Canadian office is feasible. But you are absolutely right, it is super hard to even be shortlisted for a job in Canada while living outside. Directly applying for PR / Study permit is my best chance I fear as you said. I just hope that if I come on PR basis, that I will be able to obtain a job soon enough. Because my only plan for that is to get a remote job while I am in SL, apply for PR, (if I get PR) to go to Canada and get my remote company to start forwarding my income to Canada instead and live on that until I secure a job in Canada. It'll be hard, but will it be worth it? Only time will tell and I sure as hell hope the answer is yes.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you for the reply. I am currently on the lookout for any canadian companies that may have branches here in SL or vice versa, to see if a transfer to the Canadian office is feasible. But you are absolutely right, it is super hard to even be shortlisted for a job in Canada while living outside. Directly applying for PR / Study permit is my best chance I fear as you said. I just hope that if I come on PR basis, that I will be able to obtain a job soon enough. Because my only plan for that is to get a remote job while I am in SL, apply for PR, (if I get PR) to go to Canada and get my remote company to start forwarding my income to Canada instead and live on that until I secure a job in Canada. It'll be hard, but will it be worth it? Only time will tell and I sure as hell hope the answer is yes.
Note that for a transfer to be possible and an intra company work permit, you must first work for that employer outside of Canada for a least one full year and the employer must also demonstrate that you have specialized skills and knowledge.

aaronperies

May 15, 2024
Note that for a transfer to be possible and an intra company work permit, you must first work for that employer outside of Canada for a least one full year and the employer must also demonstrate that you have specialized skills and knowledge.
Yes that's something that I have already taken into account, thank you for mentioning it though.