+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

looking to immigrate...

Chuck_Jessup

Mar 3, 2014
Hello all - I have been thinking about immigrating to Canada... Its still in the "I think I want to" stage... I dont generally make rash moves with out serious planning and research... CIC's website seems like a confusing mess of restrictions and regulations... I have friends who live in Canada, and they suggested i find forums and see if i could find some one who has done this...

I am a US citizen, I have lived her all my life... as far as i can tell the best option is to attend school here get a degree or certificate for a job cat that would allow easier access to working for PR or cit in Canada. My friends thought school in Canada would be good too, but between Non resident fees and living expenses would not really be feasible at this time...

so i have seen work permits being the only other option... however in order to get a work permit I would have to have a job offer, (understandable) But most of the jobs i have looked at req local help to apply... I am a bit lost now, seeing as i live in the US...

Any help would be happily appreciated,

Jesse Fender

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
The fact you live in the US really doesn't make your immigration process any different than the process for someone from another country.

If further education in Canada is out of your price range (understandable, the fees are high) - then getting a work permit is probably the way to go. Unfortunately there's really no easy way to do this and you're right - most employers prefer to hire someone local / someone who is already legally allowed to work in Canada.

There is one step in the process that could end up being easier for you since you are from the US. Typically employers must go through the Labour Market Opinion process to hire a foreign worker. This process costs, money, takes time and there's no guarantee of approval (the employer must prove they advertised the job and were unable to find a Canadian to hire). Because you are from the US and if your profession falls under NAFTA, then you can obtain a work permit based on having a job offer alone - without having your employer get an approved LMO as well.

If you decide you're serious about coming to Canada and decide to go the work permit route, then you just have to apply and apply - and hope you get lucky.

Good luck.

Chuck_Jessup

Mar 3, 2014
Well currently I work as a customer service rep at a call center - i have done IT work, Welding, Tractor operation, very limited farm work (on ancient equip), computer repair work, manual labor, and manufacturing - However never got certified... Im fairly skilled at working on small engines... I found a few of these needs in the Employment Survey (?) lists i found on CIC's website... and have contacted the college here that I will be attending in fall to inq in certification programs...

My friends in Canada - have told me that I should look for the speciality jobs esp welding as they seem to be needed much more...

Im really early in the looking and planning stage as I had mentioned earlier I don't move rapidly... and with out a sure thing... so im fact finding...

Jesse Fender

Edited: an error of terminology.