+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

LMO, work hours

hadasp

Nov 28, 2015
Good night!

My case is that I have a LMO.

The LMO says in working hours, 7 hours per day or 35 hours a week and I think that they should provide me all this hours.

The LMO is room service , we are now in low season, they dont sell rooms and only get 25 hours a week or less.

Other people with open work permits also have 25 hours or less , but there are people who get 40 hours a week.

I talked with the manager and requested him to give me 35 hours as the LMO said, but he told me that he called Canada Service and they told him that if the hotel doesnt have budget they dont have to provide me 35 horas

Anyone know if this is true ? I sign a contract with them for 35 hours , I can not work anywhere else , and with 25 hours is almost impossible to live , I have to keep paying the house , food , bills and end almost I have no money.

They dont have hours for the people with LMO but they hired more people.

Is possible that they can hire more and more people, call people part time that already have another job, and the people with LMO as me, we cant have another job, dont have hours?

Thanks you!!!!!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
The LMO does not obligate your employer to provide you with 35 hours of work per week.

Maybe it's time to start looking for a new employer.

Good luck.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
This is the law in Canada. If a company doesn't have enough work, they can cut your hours and there is nothing you can do about it. You can call the employment standards in your province and talk to them about it if you want. I think it is a bit suspect if they hired more people during a time they were cutting hours of the existing staff but it is possible that they needed a lot of people to be working at the same time or the other people are doing something else.

If you want to work more, your only option would be to look for another employer who has an LMO or is willing to apply for one and once you get a new work permit, you can switch employers.