+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

LMIA Work Permit 50 Points

mg3835

Jul 29, 2020
I am an FSW candidate currently working in Canada on a work permit for which an LMIA was issued in NOC A. My work permit is expires in May 2022. I have claimed 50 points for 'having a valid job offer' because I think I meet the following conditions:

If you’re currently working in Canada in a NOC 0, A or B job on a work permit that was issued based on an LMIA, and:
  • you’re working for an employer listed on your work permit
  • you’re authorized to work in Canada on the day you apply for a permanent resident visa, and when the visa is issued
  • your current employer made you an offer to give you a full-time job for at least one year if you’re accepted as a permanent resident

Now my question is this, my offer letter does not state 'at least one year if you’re accepted as a permanent resident' directly because I got the offer in 2019 and I was not eligible for EE at the time, however the job is permanent, full time. My employer is willing to put this '1 year after PR' statement in the reference letter/letter of employment. Will that be enough to satisfy the requirements for 'valid job offer' and claim the 50 points?

OnceMore

Star Member
Sep 2, 2018
Ottawa
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
17-09-2020
AOR Received.
17-09-2020
I am an FSW candidate currently working in Canada on a work permit for which an LMIA was issued in NOC A. My work permit is expires in May 2022. I have claimed 50 points for 'having a valid job offer' because I think I meet the following conditions:

If you’re currently working in Canada in a NOC 0, A or B job on a work permit that was issued based on an LMIA, and:
  • you’re working for an employer listed on your work permit
  • you’re authorized to work in Canada on the day you apply for a permanent resident visa, and when the visa is issued
  • your current employer made you an offer to give you a full-time job for at least one year if you’re accepted as a permanent resident

Now my question is this, my offer letter does not state 'at least one year if you’re accepted as a permanent resident' directly because I got the offer in 2019 and I was not eligible for EE at the time, however the job is permanent, full time. My employer is willing to put this '1 year after PR' statement in the reference letter/letter of employment. Will that be enough to satisfy the requirements for 'valid job offer' and claim the 50 points?
I am in a similar boat (but with a slight twist not related to this topic). How did you convince the employer to add '1 year after PR' statement in the reference letter/letter of employment? Typically employers are scared to even hint that they are promising future/guaranteed employment, did they add any exclusions like "1 year after PR as long as blah blah blah"? Please share more details so that I can ask my employer who is very strict and goes by the book.

mg3835

Jul 29, 2020
I am in a similar boat (but with a slight twist not related to this topic). How did you convince the employer to add '1 year after PR' statement in the reference letter/letter of employment? Typically employers are scared to even hint that they are promising future/guaranteed employment, did they add any exclusions like "1 year after PR as long as blah blah blah"? Please share more details so that I can ask my employer who is very strict and goes by the book.
Hello,

I work at a fairly small company ( ~30 people) and so things are more personal. I showed them the requirements and they were happy to oblige. The statement simply says that the job position will last that long, the employer still has the right to fire/ hire any other person if they wish, so there is no real obligation on their end.

Hope this helps.

OnceMore

Star Member
Sep 2, 2018
Ottawa
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
17-09-2020
AOR Received.
17-09-2020
Hello,

I work at a fairly small company ( ~30 people) and so things are more personal. I showed them the requirements and they were happy to oblige. The statement simply says that the job position will last that long, the employer still has the right to fire/ hire any other person if they wish, so there is no real obligation on their end.

Hope this helps.
Can you share the exact wordings please? From what I understood your letter says "The Senior Engineer position will be available for atleast for a year" and does not say "person ABC will be employed for a year"