+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

LMIA help, what is the definition of non-seasonal employment???

Liam88

Mar 27, 2015
So I currently work on a remote mine in the Yukon. I work 19 days in 12 days out, 12 hour shifts which equates to 2,052 hours of work per year. The mine closes from mid-December until end of February each year due to harsh winter weather in the Yukon but my employment contract says full time permanent as I return to work each February so I'm only not working fkr 2 and half months. I am currently on an IEC open work permit.

Is this position considered seasonal for LMIA permanent resident purposes? I'm still working an average of 1,000 hours more per year than if I was working 40 hours per week mon to Friday job and earning a wage of $28. I can't find the definition of "non-seasonal" on CIC or ESDC websites. Ive called Service Canada and have had 2 completley opposite answers. They don't seem to know the definition either. NOC Code 7312 Heavy Duty Equipment Technician, I have Red Seal Canadian certification in my trade and am due to sit CELPIP test in June.

Pippin

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2010
I have questioned this sort of thing before - jobs that employ for greater than annual full time hours, but they are worked unconventionally (not 9-5, Monday to Friday). Examples would be airline and ship personnel, rig workers, etc. I have not found a solution yet. Good luck.