+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

LMIA Exemption vs Trade Agreement

Rockologist

Star Member
Jan 15, 2018
I'm applying online for a work permit that is covered by the NAFTA / CUSMA exemption. When I fill the questionnaire out to gather documents, when I select "Under International Trade Agreement", I'm required to submit proof of an inter-company transfer(which I'm not doing). When I select "...with LMIA Exemption', then that requirement disappears.

My concern is listing the wrong work permit document list will slow down my processing, has anyone else had this situation?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Assume you have had a CUSMA/NAFTA work permit before. Which area are you eligible in and with what NOC?
  1. business visitors;
  2. professionals;
  3. intra-company transferees;
  4. traders and investors.

Rockologist

Star Member
Jan 15, 2018
Professionals, NOC 5241.
So really unsure why I'm getting the intra-company transferee requirement; for my application I have my job offer number, but not sure if that is the same as a LMIA-exemption number. When I change my answers to LMIA exemption though, poof! Requirement gone...
Strangely, neither of those distinctions is asking for to submit the family info doc (IMM 5645)...

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Professionals, NOC 5241.
So really unsure why I'm getting the intra-company transferee requirement; for my application I have my job offer number, but not sure if that is the same as a LMIA-exemption number. When I change my answers to LMIA exemption though, poof! Requirement gone...
Strangely, neither of those distinctions is asking for to submit the family info doc (IMM 5645)...
Strange. In pre covid times, you could apply for work permit at the border with CUSMA exemption and the job offer.

Rockologist

Star Member
Jan 15, 2018
Strange. In pre covid times, you could apply for work permit at the border with CUSMA exemption and the job offer.
You still can. My plan was to apply online due to a concern of denial based on some shoddy record keeping from my last job, and not wanting to get all the way to the border just to get denied due to it. Figure if they need more info it's a lot less hassle to do it from my country of residence...but I'm still keeping that as an option.

Rockologist

Star Member
Jan 15, 2018
Because this application is asking for wayyyyyyy more support documentation than the last time I applied, I'm ten times more stressed and wanted to reduce the amount of interview and scrutiny at the POE (assuming a letter of invitation would allow a quicker, less stressful process there, like when I got two study permits that way)