+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Living outside Canada

hilu75

Star Member
Jan 14, 2011
I am living and working exclusively outside Canada, and I want to sponsor my wife. should I answer for questions 18,19 in the checklist form IMM 5491?

Bangkokcanuck

May 2, 2010
Bangkapi, Thailand
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-02-2011
File Transfer...
17-03-2011
Med's Done....
07-12-2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
20-07-2011
VISA ISSUED...
08-08-2011
LANDED..........
03-11-2011
hilu75 said:
I am living and working exclusively outside Canada, and I want to sponsor my wife. should I answer for questions 18,19 in the checklist form IMM 5491?
I am in the same boat as you, I live and work in Thailand (by the same of course I just mean outside of Canada) I can only tell you what we did.

As I am not employed as such, but rather my wife and I own a couple of businesses, what we did was included our company registration documents showing my wife and I listed as directors. We also included our company tax returns for the last 12 months showing our gov't documented income. I have not worked in Canada for over 5 years so the Option C thing made no sense.

Not sure if that is good enough or helpful but didn't see any other option there for us.

hilu75

Star Member
Jan 14, 2011
did u mean you reported about your work in Thailand? I think they don't care ,they are expecting to see what was your income while you are in Canada!

Bangkokcanuck

May 2, 2010
Bangkapi, Thailand
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-02-2011
File Transfer...
17-03-2011
Med's Done....
07-12-2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
20-07-2011
VISA ISSUED...
08-08-2011
LANDED..........
03-11-2011
hilu75 said:
did u mean you reported about your work in Thailand? I think they don't care ,they are expecting to see what was your income while you are in Canada!
Yes they do care about my income in Thailand right now as it shows my ability to relocate and support my family and not go to Canada and attempt to go on Welfare.

I don't have any income in Canada yet, so I need to show them that I can support my family while I ramp up my business find work, etc..etc.. as I have not lived or worked in Canada in five years kind of hard to show any income there at this point.

It's just all about background and showing my relationship is real, i.e. my wife and I owning a business together. Plus as stated our ability to support ourselves when relocated.

missmini

Champion Member
Oct 6, 2009
Visa Office......
Amman
App. Filed.......
01-2012
Doc's Request.
05-2012 (CSQ approved)
AOR Received.
07-2012
File Transfer...
04-2012
Med's Done....
11-2011 (extended until 11-2013)
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
02-2013 (finalyyyyyy)
LANDED..........
07-2013 (DONE - thank u all :):):))
i don't need to fill in that Option C (it's not required for Quebec) BUT while i was outside Canada (and still am) i all the time filled in the taxes so I would have that tax paper if they would ask for it; some other people showed an equivalent Option C from the taxes they filled in their current country of residence

i also don't think that they would care a lot about ur external income since they clearly state in guide/manuals that an employment outside Canada does not guarantee the same employment in Canada, it does not give u Canadian experience, it does not guarantee that u'll find employment fast once u r back, etc; also, they say that they do not have the resources to asses an income gained outside Canada (maybe where u live now that income could cover u for 3 months but in Canada it's not enough for 1 month)

what u need to focus especially being outside Canada is how to convince them that u go back AND plans on how u'll support urself and ur family once u r back (Canadian account statements with enough funds for maybe a few months or family support letters, proof that u started a job search or u did research on how to open the same business in Canada); at least this is how we r approaching it

i think if u transfer ur income from Thailand banks to ur Canadian bank account u'd have a stronger point

Bangkokcanuck

May 2, 2010
Bangkapi, Thailand
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-02-2011
File Transfer...
17-03-2011
Med's Done....
07-12-2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
20-07-2011
VISA ISSUED...
08-08-2011
LANDED..........
03-11-2011
missmini said:
i don't need to fill in that Option C (it's not required for Quebec) BUT while i was outside Canada (and still am) i all the time filled in the taxes so I would have that tax paper if they would ask for it; some other people showed an equivalent Option C from the taxes they filled in their current country of residence
I did not have to file taxes while living outside of Canada as I had given up my residency status so I would not have to pay taxes on my Thailand income. Plus at the time I had zero plans of returning to Canada just adding to my life workload of filling out empty tax returns for the rest of my life seemed to be pointless and a waste of time.

i also don't think that they would care a lot about ur external income since they clearly state in guide/manuals that an employment outside Canada does not guarantee the same employment in Canada, it does not give u Canadian experience, it does not guarantee that u'll find employment fast once u r back, etc; also, they say that they do not have the resources to asses an income gained outside Canada (maybe where u live now that income could cover u for 3 months but in Canada it's not enough for 1 month)

what u need to focus especially being outside Canada is how to convince them that u go back AND plans on how u'll support urself and ur family once u r back (Canadian account statements with enough funds for maybe a few months or family support letters, proof that u started a job search or u did research on how to open the same business in Canada); at least this is how we r approaching it
I didn't go into each and every little detail so I didn't expect you to know all the ins and outs of my situation but most of what you said above has already been covered. My income now in Thailand can easily be kept and transferred to Canada to support me if we move back that was the point of showing the real registered company and proof of income that we will have over a 100k a year CAD coming in when we move back so it should not be that hard to support ourselves. Plus I provided them will my brokerage accounts and their balances again so they can see we have the means to relocate and NOT be a drain on the Canadian social system.

I am NOT ALLOWED to have a Canadian bank account while I don't have residency status. I won't be looking for a job unless all my businesses suddenly go belly up. Our goal was not to show that we could find jobs in Canada as we have been out of the workforce for so long it's hard to know what is going on, but rather to show that our current income which is business ownership based is portable and we will have the exact same income then as we do now. Yes converted to CAD.

i think if u transfer ur income from Thailand banks to ur Canadian bank account u'd have a stronger point
See above I am not legally allowed to have a Canadian bank account until I resume my residency which I won't be doing unless my wife is granted her RP, if she is not we will go live somewhere else, perhaps Australia or maybe Belize we will cross that bridge when we come to it.