+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Living in Windsor and working in Detroit on H1B, daily travel

canyeah_Can

Mar 1, 2011
Hello friends, I couldn't find much information on this, so starting this thread.
Please share your experiences if anyone has taken this path.
To keep the PR and US Greencard application alive .

I have a PR and EB3 jul08 priority date.

bkd1969

May 1, 2011
canyeah_Can said:
Hello friends, I couldn't find much information on this, so starting this thread.
Please share your experiences if anyone has taken this path.
To keep the PR and US Greencard application alive .

I have a PR and EB3 jul08 priority date.
1, taking advantage of both is a dangerous game to play. Everyday you need to use AVR to prove to US officer you can back to work. Everyday, I mean.
2, you are EB3 july 8, so you will get US green card in 3 or 5 years, depending on your nationality. if you have Canada PR card now, you may not be able to maintain the Canadian PR residence requirement. By doing this as you proposed, I am not sure if it is workable. But I think H1B visa should assume you work and live in the US, not one way another. You better to pay $100 to lawyer for this to clarify.

barabashka

Star Member
Jan 30, 2013
I was researching this option (Windsor/Detroit) thing and came across a term Permanent Resident Commuter Status (US Green Card C2) - which allows one to live in Canada/Mexico and to commute to US to work.
The time a US GC holder is on a "commuter" status does not count toward naturalization.

I think this can be a way to go for someone who wants to continue living in Canada, accumulating days for citizenship - but works in US on "commuter" status.
If one day a person decides to live in US, the commuter status can be changed to a regular GC card (and naturalization clock would start).

I think a "commuter" status US GC should not affect Canadian PR card renewal or application for Canadian citizenship. In fact, it might help, as it explains the employment situation and that it is likely that the person lives in Canada if he/she opted for commuter status. Its an official "give up" on physical US residency.

Does anyone have any additional info or opinion about this option?