+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Live-In Caregiver--Work Permit Expires on May2011...

Ecinaj

Dec 29, 2010
PLease help my confused friend---LIve-IN Caregiver in Quebec
Questions in behalf of a confused friend.
My friend is a Live-In Caregiver in Quebec Province. Her work permit and visa will expire on May2011. She is planning to apply for PR after May2011(complete the 24 months). But her employer does not want extend their contract after May2011.
---Is it best to process the "change of employer" before May2011?
---In applying for PR, since she is in Quebec, Is she suppose to apply in federal? or in Quebec government?
Correct us if we understood this wrong:
--- while the PR and OWP is on process, while waiting for it to be approved... the live-In caregiver can work to any job(commercial stores,etc) or any family employer without applying for a work permit.
---when PR under Live-In caregiver Class has been approved, she can work to any employer she wants without having to apply for a work permit or even with PR--- she will still need to have a work permit and will only need to renew yearly.

PLease share your knowledge or experience. Thank you :-D

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
Sorry if I had to make my responses bigger than your post. Just so it's clearer and I don't have to "quote/unquote" your queries :)
Ecinaj said:
PLease help my confused friend---LIve-IN Caregiver in Quebec
Questions in behalf of a confused friend.
My friend is a Live-In Caregiver in Quebec Province. Her work permit and visa will expire on May2011. She is planning to apply for PR after May2011(complete the 24 months). But her employer does not want extend their contract after May2011.
---Is it best to process the "change of employer" before May2011?Yes
---In applying for PR, since she is in Quebec, Is she suppose to apply in federal? or in Quebec government?Did not understand this part of the post
--- while the PR and OWP is on process, while waiting for it to be approved... the live-In caregiver can work to any job(commercial stores,etc) or any family employer without applying for a work permit. No. Can only work as live in caregiver for an employer for whom she has a valid WP, till she gets her OWP
---when PR under Live-In caregiver Class has been approved, she can work to any employer she wants without having to apply for a work permit or even with PR--- she will still need to have a work permit and will only need to renew yearly.No. She can work at any job, for any employer once PR is approved.

PLease share your knowledge or experience. Thank you :-D

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Ecinaj said:
---Is it best to process the "change of employer" before May2011?
Yes. It is strange that she was only given a work permit and visa for exactly 24 months. Usually they give a visa for 36 months in order for the live in caregiver to have plenty of time to complete the 24 months and still continue to work while they wait for their PR.

Her work permit is tied to this employer. When this work permit expires, she can not work at all. She has 90 days to leave Canada if she doesn't get a new permit. It is a requirement for the live-in caregiver program that she continues to work as a live-in caregiver while her application is in process. It would be advisable to look for a new employer and get a new LMO and work permit for him before May 2011. Then she can work there while she waits for her first stage approval and open work permit.

Getting the first stage approval and open work permit takes 10-11 months, see http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/perm-other.asp

Ecinaj said:
---In applying for PR, since she is in Quebec, Is she suppose to apply in federal? or in Quebec government?
In your application guide at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/guides/5290E.PDF it says that Quebec will have to approve her application but she does not have to do anything special. Just apply normally and immigration will get the approval of Quebec.

Here is some info about quitting and changing jobs and also about how to apply for PR: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/caregiver/extend-stay.asp

Ecinaj said:
--- while the PR and OWP is on process, while waiting for it to be approved... the live-In caregiver can work to any job(commercial stores,etc) or any family employer without applying for a work permit.
When she is on a live-in caregiver work permit, she is only allowed to work as a live-in caregiver and only for the employer the work permit is for. If she takes another job without having first gotten a new work permit for the new employer, she is working illegally. When she gets the OWP, because it is open, she can work in any job or for any employer, even 2 jobs if she wants to.

This is also explained in the application guide at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/guides/5290E.PDF near the end.

Ecinaj said:
---when PR under Live-In caregiver Class has been approved, she can work to any employer she wants without having to apply for a work permit or even with PR--- she will still need to have a work permit and will only need to renew yearly.
Once you have PR, you do not need a work permit. You can work for any employer, study or do anything you want.

honeysweetie

Jun 17, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi Leon, Yes it's strange and a kind of unfair. My first entry/border was in Montreal Quebec and they just issued me exactly 24 months Work Permit (no remarks at all) even I got 3-years stated in my contract. That's why I'm now worried and such a pain waiting for my Work Permit Extension application with the same employer under LCP and my current WP will expires this January 12, 2011 )): Some of my friends who first entry in Vancouver got 39 months and they just had 2 years contract. So I guess to those who just got new work permit and looking/booking some plane tickets better choose Vancouver as your first entry (-:

Leon said:
Yes. It is strange that she was only given a work permit and visa for exactly 24 months. Usually they give a visa for 36 months in order for the live in caregiver to have plenty of time to complete the 24 months and still continue to work while they wait for their PR.

Jepoy0424

Feb 28, 2011
honeysweetie said:
Hi Leon, Yes it's strange and a kind of unfair. My first entry/border was in Montreal Quebec and they just issued me exactly 24 months Work Permit (no remarks at all) even I got 3-years stated in my contract. That's why I'm now worried and such a pain waiting for my Work Permit Extension application with the same employer under LCP and my current WP will expires this January 12, 2011 )): Some of my friends who first entry in Vancouver got 39 months and they just had 2 years contract. So I guess to those who just got new work permit and looking/booking some plane tickets better choose Vancouver as your first entry (-:
Happy to see someone with the same date of entry and date of work permit expiration. :D My work permit also expired last January 12, 2011 and i was also given exactly 24 months WP. Got a problem with my first application of extension so i filled another one. thankfully, i recieved my new work permit last week. i am getting ready to file my PR and OWP application by this week or next week.. Goodluck to me! ;D

honeysweetie

Jun 17, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi jepoy0424. Did you get your Option C Printout from CRA? Is your 2009 and 2010 taxes included? How long they (CRA) usually give the said printout from the time you phoned them? We have the same timeline then. I'm planning to phone them this week but wondering if my 2010 is not on their system yet - though got my 2010 refund already. Probably I will apply last week of March coz I'm still waiting my new passport renewed into my new married name. Good luck to both of us.

Jepoy0424 said:
Happy to see someone with the same date of entry and date of work permit expiration. :D My work permit also expired last January 12, 2011 and i was also given exactly 24 months WP. Got a problem with my first application of extension so i filled another one. thankfully, i recieved my new work permit last week. i am getting ready to file my PR and OWP application by this week or next week.. Goodluck to me! ;D

Jepoy0424

Feb 28, 2011
honeysweetie said:
Hi jepoy0424. Did you get your Option C Printout from CRA? Is your 2009 and 2010 taxes included? How long they (CRA) usually give the said printout from the time you phoned them? We have the same timeline then. I'm planning to phone them this week but wondering if my 2010 is not on their system yet - though got my 2010 refund already. Probably I will apply last week of March coz I'm still waiting my new passport renewed into my new married name. Good luck to both of us.
I requested my Option C Printout last December, i think it took 5 to 10 business days before i recieve it. they only gave me the 2009 printout because i havent filed my 2010 tax yet.. Good Luck!! ;D

honeysweetie

Jun 17, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Jepoy0424 said:
I requested my Option C Printout last December, i think it took 5 to 10 business days before i recieve it. they only gave me the 2009 printout because i havent filed my 2010 tax yet.. Good Luck!! ;D
Thanks jepoy0424. Good luck too!

plussy

Jan 26, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-V
NOC Code......
LIC
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Congratulations and Goodluck Honeysweetie. Keep us posted on your application. ;D

honeysweetie said:
Probably I will apply last week of March coz I'm still waiting my new passport renewed into my new married name. Good luck to both of us.

sarr12

Feb 26, 2012
Hi Leon, i'm new to the forum. I have applied for CSQ since May 2011. It's still pending.
In the meanwhile I would like to go to Quebec to work as a live-in caregiver.
Can you please explain to me what are the procedures to follow?
Is it possible for me to get a work permit for live in caregiver from abroad?
Please advise, thanks.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
sarr12 said:
Hi Leon, i'm new to the forum. I have applied for CSQ since May 2011. It's still pending.
In the meanwhile I would like to go to Quebec to work as a live-in caregiver.
Can you please explain to me what are the procedures to follow?
Is it possible for me to get a work permit for live in caregiver from abroad?
Please advise, thanks.
In order to work as a live-in caregiver, you need to have either at least one year caregiver work experience or a 6 month caregiver course or some related education, for example a nurse.

You need to find an employer. The employer needs to apply for a labour market opinion to prove that they could not find a Canadian or PR for the job and once they have it, you can apply for a work permit. Of course it is possible to do all this from abroad and in many cases, it is even a requirement that you apply for your work permit abroad.

sarr12

Feb 26, 2012
Thx Leon, as far as qualifications and experience is concerned it's ok.
But how to get an employer who will recruit me?
Also, the fact that I have already applied for CSQ under skilled worker category for Quebec, will this cause a problem for me?
Because everywhere I have read that only after 24 mths of stay inside Canada that you can apply for PR, but what will happen to my application for my PR which is already under process?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
sarr12 said:
Thx Leon, as far as qualifications and experience is concerned it's ok.
But how to get an employer who will recruit me?
Also, the fact that I have already applied for CSQ under skilled worker category for Quebec, will this cause a problem for me?
Because everywhere I have read that only after 24 mths of stay inside Canada that you can apply for PR, but what will happen to my application for my PR which is already under process?
How do you find an employer? Go online and look at job websites or look for an agency.

Your Quebec skilled worker application is a different type of application and will continue to be processed regardless of you applying for a work permit and coming to work as a live-in caregiver.
The two years in Canada are required for live-in caregivers to apply under the live-in caregiver program. That has absolutely nothing to do with any other type of PR application that you have met the requirements for and is being processed.