+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Lithuanian living in UK moving to Canada!

Denca

Feb 20, 2010
Hi, everyone!
My name is Denis and Im resident of Lithuania!In 2006 finished university Obninsk Nuclear Power Engineering University. Got a master"s degree-Engineer in Automatics systems/safety information.Now Im living in UK (since 29 of april 2008). 8 months was non-professional job (while teaching ENG language) and since 5 of january 2009 working in Opthalmic company (SpecSavers) as a Optical Assistant/Dispensing Optician (non-qualified). I decide to leave UK for Canada and get permanent residence.
So, I have question - Which way better to do:
1. To come in Canada, find job, get permit (working visa)
2. Try skilled worker scheme and use service of companies who can help (for money indeed) with it
As for me i would like to come as fast as i can and not worried about documents and etc more what important for me as job. For example, in UK you find job and don"t need any permit (Lithuania part of EU and under European Economic Area) as I read info at CIC it is different in Canada. My contract with my current employer will end 15 of may. I want to leave before this date i.e. ASAP or as i found out precise information.

I will APPRECIATE any information and any HELP from You!
Kind regards, Denis

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Immigration to Canada does not happen very fast. According to http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/visas.asp if you have a biometric passport, you would not need a visit visa to go to Canada but that will only get you 6 months as a visitor. You have to bring enough money to support yourself while you are in Canada and hope that you can find a job and get a work permit arranged before you have to leave again. If that doesn't work out, you have just wasted 6 months and a lot of money. It would be better to try to look for jobs online and get some interviews set up before you go. Then you can make it a shorter trip and plan it out more but be prepared that after your interviews, you might get a job but it will take a while to sort out a work permit or immigration or be prepared that you might not get a job and you have to work somewhere in Europe for a while again, keep looking for jobs in Canada online and repeat the process.

If you qualify to apply for your immigration directly, you can apply by yourself. You do not need an agent to fill out the forms for you. It will only cost you a lot of money and not get you faster or better service by immigration. However, I don't think you qualify right now. Your job is not on the list of 38 most wanted for skilled worker which means you would need a job offer and it's hard to get. If you speak French, you can look into Quebec skilled worker at http://www.immigration-quebec.gouv.qc.ca/en/immigrate-settle/permanent-workers/index.html

Denca

Feb 20, 2010
Thanks for your answer, Leon!

That"s exactly what I"m thinking (get biometric passport (2 weeks needed only), save money for next 6 month (that"s done already) while stay in Canada and looking for job inside Canada OR stay in UK and look for job in internet and do not move so far).

About qualified worker I found NOC for my position it is - 3231 Opticians (http: // www5.hrsdc.gc.ca/NOC/English/NOC/2006/Profile.aspx?val=3&val1=3231) eyeglasses fitter, eyeglasses frame fitter and Im now do dispensing so it"s more proffesional position.

Thanks again for your help, mate!

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you want to try to get a job doing the same thing, there is Lenscrafters in Canada, I looked for their website and it took me to a job search engine for them in Canada and the US, see https://luxotticaretail.tms.hrdepartment.com/cgi-bin/a/searchjobs_quick.cgi/ If you click on the first location in Canada and then scroll down to the last location in Canada and shift click and then hit search, it will only give you openings in the Canadian stores.

You also might have to keep an open mind that maybe you will get a job doing something else.

Is there any kind of Lithuanian-Canadian society? Sometimes networking can help too.

Denca

Feb 20, 2010
ThanX again!
Very usefull tool u gave me. Yeap Im looking now in yellowpages.ca and in different search engines for optician job or any job in Helth and medicine preferable. Very usefull site found today - hXXXs://xxx.csic-scci.ca/ - migration consultants. Maybe interesting for someone. Some of them are lithuanians.

ThanX again!

Denca

Feb 20, 2010
Canada Signs Youth Mobility Agreement with Lithuania

Found this article at hxxp:// xxx.international.gc.ca/media/aff/news-communiques/2009/351.aspx?lang=eng

Maybe help someone and me as well! ;)

Canada Signs Youth Mobility Agreement with Lithuania

(No. 351 - November 19, 2009 - 2:10 p.m. EST) On behalf of the Honourable Lawrence Cannon, Minister of Foreign Affairs, Scott Heatherington, Ambassador of Canada to Latvia, Lithuania and Estonia, today signed an agreement with Lithuania under Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada’s International Youth Programs. Under this agreement, qualified Canadian and Lithuanian youths between the ages of 18 and 35 will be able to travel and work in each other’s country for up to a year.

“This agreement will facilitate youth exchanges by making it easier for Canadian and Lithuanian youths to travel and work in each other’s country,” said Minister Cannon. “Such exchanges will not only give the participating youths a competitive edge in the job market, but also promote greater cooperation between Canada and Lithuania.”

The agreement was signed in Vilnius by Ambassador Heatherington and Donatas Jankauskas, Lithuania’s Minister of Social Security and Labour. It will be tabled in Canada’s Parliament in the coming months and implemented next year.

Canada currently has bilateral arrangements on youth mobility in effect with 20 countries. Two more were signed with Spain and Slovenia in March and October, respectively, and will likely be implemented in 2010. Similar agreements are expected in the coming months with Hong Kong, Estonia, Slovakia and Hungary.

The mission of International Youth Programs is to foster close bilateral relations between Canada and other countries through exchanges that give young people an understanding of other cultures through travel, life and work experience abroad. This experience enhances the personal and professional development of participants, giving them a competitive edge in the job market.

Citizenship and Immigration Canada is responsible for issuing proper documentation for work permits to foreign participants of the program. For details, consult Visiting Canada.

For more information, consult International Youth Programs.

Denca

Feb 20, 2010
Hi, everyone!
I have a question:
Is anyone knows about recruitment agencies for foreign workers (outside Canada)?
I mean agencies who give service like this:
1. Help to find job if you outside of Canada
2. Arrange an intrview with employer
3. Help with documents if needed

All info really appreciated!