+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Letter of Employment

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
allawy86 said:
Do you think its good idea to take Letter of Employment with me to the Test/Interview Day?
Take what is specifically requested. Take proper translations if applicable. Follow the instructions, especially those in the notice to attend the interview, but also those in the "gather documents" part of the guide for citizenship applications.

Any additional documentation is not likely to have any influence. There are possible exceptions.

A "Letter of Employment" is not likely to be one of the exceptions. Either the interviewer will be satisfied with your oral answers to questions, including any regarding employment history, or if not there will be a request for additional documents. Presenting a letter of employment will not change this. The additional request, either a CIT 0520 or the full-blown RQ, could be given to the applicant at the interview or sent to the applicant some time after the interview. But again, it is not at all likely that presenting a letter of employment at the interview will change how this goes.

allawy86

Star Member
Jun 3, 2016
dpenabill said:
Take what is specifically requested. Take proper translations if applicable. Follow the instructions, especially those in the notice to attend the interview, but also those in the "gather documents" part of the guide for citizenship applications.

Any additional documentation is not likely to have any influence. There are possible exceptions.

A "Letter of Employment" is not likely to be one of the exceptions. Either the interviewer will be satisfied with your oral answers to questions, including any regarding employment history, or if not there will be a request for additional documents. Presenting a letter of employment will not change this. The additional request, either a CIT 0520 or the full-blown RQ, could be given to the applicant at the interview or sent to the applicant some time after the interview. But again, it is not at all likely that presenting a letter of employment at the interview will change how this goes.
I appreciate your anwer. I graduated from here, worked here, own house, everything is here. In my 4 years I travelled only 4 times. will this cause RQ?

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
allawy86 said:
I appreciate your anwer. I graduated from here, worked here, own house, everything is here. In my 4 years I travelled only 4 times. will this cause RQ?
No, none of those things will cause RQ.

That does not exclude possible other reasons why RQ might be issued, including randomly. Any applicant might be issued RQ.

There is little an applicant can bring to the interview to preclude getting RQ. If IRCC has questions only documents can answer, they want the full response to RQ. Once IRCC identifies a reason to issue RQ, an answer or document addressing that issue is NOT enough to avoid RQ. (If one or three documents would suffice, those will be requested in a CIT 0520 request.)

Reminder: the interview is about verifying the information in the application. It is not a hearing. It is not an opportunity for the applicant to make an affirmative case. It is a tool employed by IRCC to check and verify. It is mostly used to examine and verify the specific documents requested, especially passports, PR card, and ID, in conjunction with a few questions which are largely about verifying the applicant's credibility, that the applicant is who the applicant purports to be in the application.

If IRCC has questions which can be resolved by the oral Q&A in an interview, the applicant's responses can resolve those.

If oral answers to the questions posed are not enough to answer IRCC's questions, there will be either a CIT 0520 request or the full-blown RQ.

There are a very few reports which might constitute exceptions. Too few, and too specific to their individual situations, to indicate that additional documents will help much if at all . . . with some rare exceptions.

allawy86

Star Member
Jun 3, 2016
dpenabill said:
No, none of those things will cause RQ.

That does not exclude possible other reasons why RQ might be issued, including randomly. Any applicant might be issued RQ.

There is little an applicant can bring to the interview to preclude getting RQ. If IRCC has questions only documents can answer, they want the full response to RQ. Once IRCC identifies a reason to issue RQ, an answer or document addressing that issue is NOT enough to avoid RQ. (If one or three documents would suffice, those will be requested in a CIT 0520 request.)

Reminder: the interview is about verifying the information in the application. It is not a hearing. It is not an opportunity for the applicant to make an affirmative case. It is a tool employed by IRCC to check and verify. It is mostly used to examine and verify the specific documents requested, especially passports, PR card, and ID, in conjunction with a few questions which are largely about verifying the applicant's credibility, that the applicant is who the applicant purports to be in the application.

If IRCC has questions which can be resolved by the oral Q&A in an interview, the applicant's responses can resolve those.

If oral answers to the questions posed are not enough to answer IRCC's questions, there will be either a CIT 0520 request or the full-blown RQ.

There are a very few reports which might constitute exceptions. Too few, and too specific to their individual situations, to indicate that additional documents will help much if at all . . . with some rare exceptions.
Thank you so much for the information you provided.

FR

Star Member
Oct 9, 2014
Reference to this same topic, would you please help me with this query: I am going to apply for citizenship by End of this month, Do you think I should include my employment confirmation letter with my application? I have requested the letter from my department.

Thanks

b52shot

Star Member
Oct 8, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
dpenabill said:

dpenabill,

I noticed in this thread and others you keep mentioning that any additional documents we bring in to the interview are unnecessary and won't be considered and you seem to be too confident about it. Did you personally experience this or know someone that experienced it?

The reason I'm asking is that when I submitted my application, I only submitted the requested documents as per the guide. In my case, I have multiple trips to the US and another country which I declared and have no entry stamps. I managed to get my entry records into those countries and planning to bring them along to the interview, otherwise the officer won't be able to match my declared trips with my passport, what's your input regarding this ? I'm planning to bring these entry records with me, do you think they would look at them ?

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
b52shot said:
dpenabill,

I noticed in this thread and others you keep mentioning that any additional documents we bring in to the interview are unnecessary and won't be considered and you seem to be too confident about it. Did you personally experience this or know someone that experienced it?

The reason I'm asking is that when I submitted my application, I only submitted the requested documents as per the guide. In my case, I have multiple trips to the US and another country which I declared and have no entry stamps. I managed to get my entry records into those countries and planning to bring them along to the interview, otherwise the officer won't be able to match my declared trips with my passport, what's your input regarding this ? I'm planning to bring these entry records with me, do you think they would look at them ?
As I noted in this thread, and as I usually have in others (at least when I am careful), there are possible exceptions.

Moreover, in terms of what documents an applicant brings to the interview/test, it is highly unlikely that bringing additional documents would cause any problems.

I have offered similar observations about including additional documents with the application itself. But I did include some extra documents in my application (CRA Notices of Assessment) and I did bring a few extra documents to my interview. I do not know whether the CRA NoA made any difference at all in how my application was processed. My interview went very quickly, was relativley perfunctory, and I perceived no reason to bring up the additional documents I had in my bag.

My observations about this, however, are largely based on watching reports in multiple forums and noting that, for most, it usually seems there is no opportunity to present additional documents let alone any indication additional documents were presented, examined, and made a difference.

The exceptions are very few. However, most of those exceptions do seem to be travel history records. Very difficult to discern what the actual impact usually is . . . but there is an obvious explanation for this, for how difficult it is to discern the impact of bringing other country travel history records, and that is that how it goes will depend far more on many additional factors in the individual's case than just on the presentation of such documents.

In the meantime, the absence of stamps in the passport is common, far more common, these days. Other factors determine the extent to which IRCC is likely to see an issue in this regard.

My sense, nonetheless, is that either the interviewer is not seeing any problems, in which case extra documents would be more distraction than help, or the interviewer identifies some issue which will trigger a request for additional information and documents (CIT 0520 or full blown RQ, the CIT 0171), and additional documents will not preclude this. Remember, the interviewer is not engaged in a hearing. The interview is largely, if not almost entirely, a documents-verification examination.

But easy to read and assess travel history documents may be among the few exceptions which could help tip the scales favourably in a close case. I would not count on it, but it cannot hurt to have those available for reference.

Be sure to both carry the originals and a copy to leave with the interviewer.

stargazerlilly

Star Member
Sep 15, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
FR said:
Reference to this same topic, would you please help me with this query: I am going to apply for citizenship by End of this month, Do you think I should include my employment confirmation letter with my application? I have requested the letter from my department.

Thanks
I only sent documents that are asked for in the "document checklist" form. They never asked me for additional documents after they received and started processing my application. But it doesn't hurt to be prepared or overly prepared.

stargazerlilly

Star Member
Sep 15, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
b52shot said:
dpenabill,

Just bring them. Interviewer's questions are based on your application (of course). Who knows what they deemed in need of further explanation. If they need it,at least you're prepared. If they don't,no harm done,right? In my experience,IRCC didn't look for anything else. They just asked my marital status and my work.... then they looked through my papers.....that was it. Took only maybe 5 mins.
Goodluck.