+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Letter from landlord... please help

canmanottawa

Star Member
Jul 30, 2013
Hey guys
I lived for almost one year and a half renting a room and paid the landlord cash every month..

When i moved out (more than three years ago) he signed a letter stating i lived for a year and half , then printed his name and signed it.

Is that enough as a proof of rent? is it ok if I send a bunch of letter , bills , a police report and financial payment statements i got them when I lived there with the signed letter?

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
Re: Letter from landlord

Its not as good as a signed lease and receipts, but if its all you have--its all you have.

canmanottawa

Star Member
Jul 30, 2013

Thank you for your reply

I rented a room only in an apartment and he would not accept cheques ( actually I was new here , i didn't have any bank account, or didn't even know that i should keep the receipts )

I tried to contact him again just to get an official one but it seems he changed his phone number ( it has been over 3 years and half ).

he didnt live there he was just collecting rent and manage the property., I tried to find who owns the property but it is so difficult

canmanottawa

Star Member
Jul 30, 2013

is it ok if I send that letter with a bunch of bills and medical and legal and financial letters that I got when I lived there? they have the address printed on them

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006

canmanottawa said:
is it ok if I send that letter with a bunch of bills and medical and legal and financial letters that I got when I lived there? they have the address printed on them
More is better, except if you send them a big stack of stuff it might sit on the shelf for awhile.

txboyscout

Jun 9, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
03-08-2011
canmanottawa said:
u mean i should or should not send more?
You know that the letter from the landlord can be a cause of concern for CIC....so back up the letter with other proof that you were in the country (paystubs, letter from employer, OHIP statements etc) for that particular period. Remember the goal is trying to avoid an RQ which is a lenghty process. If you send them a stack of stuff and it "sits on a shelf" for a while, it will still be a shorter amount of time than what an RQ might take

canmanottawa

Star Member
Jul 30, 2013
i do have lots and lots of documents as proof that I lived there. plus by that time when I lived in that address I was still a refugee claimant and was waiting for my hearing ... so that is also a strong point for me because if i left the country i would not have been able to come back

txboyscout

Jun 9, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
03-08-2011
canmanottawa said:
i do have lots and lots of documents as proof that I lived there. plus by that time when I lived in that address I was still a refugee claimant and was waiting for my hearing ... so that is also a strong point for me because if i left the country i would not have been able to come back
There we go.....CIC already has the proof that you were actually in Canada during that period.