+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Legally separated /divorce ongoing in court

Shreynr

Nov 19, 2018
I am putting my marital status as legally separated as my divorce case is in process in case. In order to back up I will be providing divorce petition documents which is signed by both me and my wife. My question is in number of applicants ie family is it OK to mention 1 for myself only and show funds for myself. Or since divorce is not finalised as of now I need to put 2 and provide funds for 2 people?

shah22393

Nov 6, 2017
I am putting my marital status as legally separated as my divorce case is in process in case. In order to back up I will be providing divorce petition documents which is signed by both me and my wife. My question is in number of applicants ie family is it OK to mention 1 for myself only and show funds for myself. Or since divorce is not finalised as of now I need to put 2 and provide funds for 2 people?
Since you aren't 'LEGALLY' separated, I'd suggest you to include your wife. However, it'd be best if you consult an immigration lawyer.

Shreynr

Nov 19, 2018
But I have documents which status have been living separately n they are being submitted in court n signed in front of magistrate only final sign is pending

Shreynr

Nov 19, 2018
If in an affidavit I exclude my spouse n with forgoing my right to sponsor in future then can it be considered a single applicant application

kekay

May 31, 2020
Hi guys, has anyone been or going through a divorce and has a child. I live in Canada 4years now with my child and about applying for the PR and in court in my home country for my divorce which i filed for and for full custody of my child. I called cic and they said i can apply and provide a letter and probably a letter and proof am in court for the divorce but it is delayed due to covid. But am unsure how this applies to custody of my child, will my ex still be required to provide a letter or document authorising me to take the child even though the child has been with my for 4years and he is back in my home country and we havent spoken in 4years as i came he already got involved with someone else. How do i go about this concerning my child she is toddler 5years and a female child. even though the court doesnt give custody of minor and female child to the father. Need advice pls urgently before i submit my application. Also cic said i can put divorce/seperated but not legally seperated since the decision isnt final as there is not formal document in this effect and i can later present final decree.

kekay

May 31, 2020
Since you aren't 'LEGALLY' separated, I'd suggest you to include your wife. However, it'd be best if you consult an immigration lawyer.
I am in your case but cic said not to put legally seperated since the divorce aint final. They adviced to put separted and add a letter of explaination and proof document has been filed. And then you provide final divorce documents later. But state that in your letter.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi guys, has anyone been or going through a divorce and has a child. I live in Canada 4years now with my child and about applying for the PR and in court in my home country for my divorce which i filed for and for full custody of my child. I called cic and they said i can apply and provide a letter and probably a letter and proof am in court for the divorce but it is delayed due to covid. But am unsure how this applies to custody of my child, will my ex still be required to provide a letter or document authorising me to take the child even though the child has been with my for 4years and he is back in my home country and we havent spoken in 4years as i came he already got involved with someone else. How do i go about this concerning my child she is toddler 5years and a female child. even though the court doesnt give custody of minor and female child to the father. Need advice pls urgently before i submit my application. Also cic said i can put divorce/seperated but not legally seperated since the decision isnt final as there is not formal document in this effect and i can later present final decree.
Canada has no formal legal separation process. You ARE legally separated. Your child cannot immigrate without permission from the other parent or full legal custody from the courts.