+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Legal Name Change in Ontario- UK Passport

kaybea

Sep 12, 2017
Hey guys,

Wondering if anyone has gone through a similar experience as this and has any advice for me...

I've lived in Ontario for three years and obtained my PR in October through CEC. I have my PR card and SIN number. My issue is that I now need to change my last name.

Should I change my last name here in Ontario though the Adult Name Change form, then apply to change my name on my passport in the UK using the Canadian Legal Name Change Certificate? Once I have my passport in hand, I can then apply for a new PR card and SIN number etc.

My other option is to change my name at home in the UK when I visit next week. Once I do that, I can then apply for a new passport. Once I have my passport- I can update my details with ServiceOntario for my SIN number and contact CIC to apply for a new PR card.

Has anyone from the UK or elsewhere done this before? If so, what do you suggest?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Hey guys,

Wondering if anyone has gone through a similar experience as this and has any advice for me...

I've lived in Ontario for three years and obtained my PR in October through CEC. I have my PR card and SIN number. My issue is that I now need to change my last name.

Should I change my last name here in Ontario though the Adult Name Change form, then apply to change my name on my passport in the UK using the Canadian Legal Name Change Certificate? Once I have my passport in hand, I can then apply for a new PR card and SIN number etc.

My other option is to change my name at home in the UK when I visit next week. Once I do that, I can then apply for a new passport. Once I have my passport- I can update my details with ServiceOntario for my SIN number and contact CIC to apply for a new PR card.

Has anyone from the UK or elsewhere done this before? If so, what do you suggest?
1. How do you intend to return to Canada? The UK will probably keep your old passport so it is unlikely that an airline would board you with a PR card in another name?
2. Assuming you intend to use a Deed Poll, the follow is from the UK Gov site

How long does deed poll name change take?
Provided you proceed to notify such record-holders immediately upon receipt of your Deed Poll and other documents, we would advise that the whole process will take between 3 and 8 weeks. It will usually take HM Passport Office 3-6 weeks to process a new passport in your new name.