+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Leaving CANADA GO TO LIVE TO THE STATES :)

Dejaavu

Aug 17, 2013
One should look as proportion of the population moving, say if 10 000 Americans moved up for jobs to Canada, 1000 Canadians should be move to US to make it comparable. I am sure the number is much higher than that if you look at the article below (about 8000 Canadians which would require at least 72000 Americans in Canada to make it comparable) However that is not the case. There are far more Canadians working in the US as proportion of Canada's population than Americans working in Canada as proportion of US population. In terms of Diversity Lottery applications for green cards in the US Canada is no longer eligible because too many Canadians were applying. Also, for H1B visas (that are immigrant visas) Canada is number 3 after India and China. Here is the article:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-08-20/india-nabs-nearly-two-thirds-of-u-s-h-1b-visas.html

My friend who I mentioned earlier couldn't find a job in line with her qualifications had to go back to US and she is Canadian. She had experience working in Canada before moving overseas.

Dejaavu

Aug 17, 2013
They moved back for family reasons, parents getting old etc. Although Canada didn't have the same collapse in financial sector, Canada's banks had to be bailed out by the federal government, esp the CIBC bank which invested quite a bit in subprime mortgages.

As for the Canadian experience, I would say it is more about that the labor market for good jobs is very small and finding ways to say no to eligible candidates. For example, in my area of work, the best way to say no to applicants is knowledge of French. But nobody uses French at work...

on-hold

Champion Member
Feb 6, 2010
That is a good point about the proportionality of movement -- a far higher proportion of Canadians are in the States.

Are there clauses in NAFTA that give Canadians more rights to work in the States than in reverse?

Dejaavu

Aug 17, 2013
I would think it would be reciprocal. US citizen needs a job offer, labor market opinion and should be able to get a work permit for 3 years. I have American friends who did that. But most American friends I met are here because of marriage to Canadian citizens.

Dejaavu

Aug 17, 2013
My relative who is American has a business in Florida and he mentioned there are so many Canadians working in Florida under the table such as bars, restaurants etc that do not have work permit. They can blend in easily :) And he said that Mexicans get unfair flak, that Canadians should get more :)

on-hold

Champion Member
Feb 6, 2010
Dejaavu said:
My relative who is American has a business in Florida and he mentioned there are so many Canadians working in Florida under the table such as bars, restaurants etc that do not have work permit. They can blend in easily :) And he said that Mexicans get unfair flak, that Canadians should get more :)
This is absolutely true, it's easy for a Canadian to overstay -- but what are you gonna do? For some reason it's hard to freak out about . . . :'(

You know, in a weird way Canada and the U.S. have about half the relationship that Australia and NZ do -- a lot of people immigrate to NZ and then go to Australia, where they can live and work permanently, and both people have rights in the other country. We could do that in North America, except Americans would come up here when they needed health care . . . That, and the fact that we're so much closer together than Australia and NZ might make the Canadians a little touchy about the possibilities of being swamped . . .

All the English-speaking countries are like this. When I went to college in toronto a couple of Kiwis came to hang out with us; they were travelling the world, working in London first (legally), then Toronto (illegally), then Florida (couldn't find a job, sold blood).