+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Leaving Canada and returning on BOWP? (VISA Exempt)

steveholt

Star Member
Mar 13, 2013
Hi all,

I am from Australia (which as I understand it is VISA exempt for travel to Canada) and am currently residing in Canada on an IEC work permit that runs out in October, I submitted a CEC application in March, and recently submitted a BOWP application as I reached < 4 months to go on my existing permit.

My question is, assuming I receive the BOWP, once I have it am I able to leave Canada and return (I'm assuming here my CEC application even if all goes well wont be completely processed until some time in the first half of next year). I'm hoping to go home to visit it family for a few weeks at the end of the year. I have travelled and returned on the IEC permit but I wanted to clarify whether this would also be possible with the BOWP.

I also noticed I have a VIA/AIV stamp in my passport related to the first time I entered under the IEC with the expiration date of October 15 2013 (which is when the permit runs out), is this something I need to get extended ahead of time or will a new stamp be added the first time I enter with a BOWP (again assuming that is possible)?

Thanks!

aand

Star Member
Mar 25, 2013
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
NOC Code......
1121, 5221
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 26, 2013
AOR Received.
June 13, 2013
Med's Request
December 13, 2013
Med's Done....
January 16, 2014 (rec'd Jan 27, 2014)
Passport Req..
visa exempt
LANDED..........
February 8, 2014
Steveholt,

You should be fine leaving the country and coming back. I have my BOWP, and also from a visa-exempt country (Australia). I was in the states over the weekend and had no problem leaving or coming back. I am also going to Australia/NZ for a month later in the year.

steveholt

Star Member
Mar 13, 2013
aand said:
Steveholt,

You should be fine leaving the country and coming back. I have my BOWP, and also from a visa-exempt country (Australia). I was in the states over the weekend and had no problem leaving or coming back. I am also going to Australia/NZ for a month later in the year.
That is what I figured but was unsure whether it would be different going home to Australia as it's a "meaningful departure" (I haven't had any issues coming and going on the IEC permit). I applied for the BOWP around July 5 so I'm going to wait for it to come (fingers crossed) before I book my tickets. Thanks for the input!

CanadaPR0012

Apr 18, 2014
Hi Folks,

Could you please clarify if it possibly to return Canada on BOWP after 3 weeks departure (I'm also from visa-exempt country).
My situation might be a little bit more complicated. Recently I left my job and currently I'm unemployed. Few days ago I received my BOWP and I plan to start looking for a new job. But first I need to go to my home country for 3-4 weeks (because of some personal reasons).
I heard that VO at point of entry may ask about my current job in Canada and I worried that if I'll tell that I'm unemployed it could be a reason to revoke my BOWP, especially after 3 weeks of departure.
What do you think Folks? Does anybody have similar experience?

Ashra

Apr 26, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa/ND
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-Oct-2013
AOR Received.
22-Nov-2013
IELTS Request
Sent with App ECAS(In Process): 29-Apr-2014
Med's Request
30-Apr-2014 RPRF Request : 30-Apr-2014
Med's Done....
03-May-2014 Med's Uploaded: 08-May-2014 RPRF Paid ......: 08-May-2014 ECAS(Medicals):17-May-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
23-May-2014 ECAS(Decision): 24-May-2014 VO Change Req: 26-May-2014 VO Change Email: 16-Jun-2014 PP(For Stamping): 17-Jun-2014
VISA ISSUED...
18-Jun-2014
LANDED..........
30-Sep-2014
Let me think.... ::)

orgchem

Star Member
Jan 6, 2014
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-11-2013
AOR Received.
22-12-2013
CanadaPR0012 said:
Hi Folks,

Could you please clarify if it possibly to return Canada on BOWP after 3 weeks departure (I'm also from visa-exempt country).
My situation might be a little bit more complicated. Recently I left my job and currently I'm unemployed. Few days ago I received my BOWP and I plan to start looking for a new job. But first I need to go to my home country for 3-4 weeks (because of some personal reasons).
I heard that VO at point of entry may ask about my current job in Canada and I worried that if I'll tell that I'm unemployed it could be a reason to revoke my BOWP, especially after 3 weeks of departure.
What do you think Folks? Does anybody have similar experience?
I strongly feel, if you have valid open work permit you can come at any time whether you have job offer or not. Plz experienced person confirm...

jss117

Star Member
May 14, 2014
I have valid open work permit. I am fan indian citizen. I often travel to USA and on my last trip to USA i spent 3 months and i was able to come back to Canada with my valid work permit.
However, Immigration officer told me to have a valid visa with multiple entry so that next time if i plan to travel India it will not be a problem to come back.
So I think these work permits are only good when you only travel USA. You definitely need a visa with multiple entry to come back.
Call CIC 1-888-242‑2100 ask them to be sure.

CanadaPR0012

Apr 18, 2014
orgchem said:
I strongly feel, if you have valid open work permit you can come at any time whether you have job offer or not. Plz experienced person confirm...
Thanks orgchem, that's my filling too. But I had some bad experience with CIC and also heard so many negative stories... CIC has so many rules so you don't know from what side it will hit you next time. I'm trying to keep everything under control... but it seems I'm just slowly becoming paranoid. :-\

jss117 said:
I have valid open work permit. I am fan indian citizen. I often travel to USA and on my last trip to USA i spent 3 months and i was able to come back to Canada with my valid work permit.
However, Immigration officer told me to have a valid visa with multiple entry so that next time if i plan to travel India it will not be a problem to come back.
So I think these work permits are only good when you only travel USA. You definitely need a visa with multiple entry to come back.
Call CIC 1-888-242‑2100 ask them to be sure.
No, I don't need visa because I'm from visa-exempt country. But my concern is that my BOWP may be revisited at the point of entry based on my current employment situation. I read somewhere in IRPA that visa officer at the point of entry can do that.

CanadaPR0012

Apr 18, 2014
Hi Folks,

I'm flying out of the country next week (for 3 weeks), and still need your advise please... :'(

I'm still unemployed. Can Border Officer deny entry to Canada (or even revoke my BOWP) because I'm currently unemployed and have no job offer. Is there any legal rules or regulations which apply to my situation? I found nothing on CIC web site.

Thanks in advance.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
CanadaPR0012 said:
I'm still unemployed. Can Border Officer deny entry to Canada (or even revoke my BOWP) because I'm currently unemployed and have no job offer.
They could refuse entry, but not for "requirements" that are irrelevant under your BOWP. Strictly speaking, you don't need this, but it wouldn't hurt to carry a copy of the most recent statement from a healthy bank account (Canada or elsewhere). But unless your CEC background check turned up a hidden criminal past or a history of working illegally, then I would say you can stop worrying about it!

CanadaPR0012

Apr 18, 2014
jes_ON said:
They could refuse entry, but not for "requirements" that are irrelevant under your BOWP. Strictly speaking, you don't need this, but it wouldn't hurt to carry a copy of the most recent statement from a healthy bank account (Canada or elsewhere). But unless your CEC background check turned up a hidden criminal past or a history of working illegally, then I would say you can stop worrying about it!
Thanks jes_ON. I didn't work illegally and have no criminal background, so should be OK from this side... I'll take a copy of my bank account in Canada, just in case.