+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Leaving Canada after Oath ceremony and getting citizenship certificate - special authorization to board your flight to Canada

luke22

Star Member
Jul 22, 2015
I have to leave Canada shortly after my Oath ceremony and receiving certificate. I heard that processing time for getting Canadian passports are 20 business days and that seems too long for me to wait. Has anyone had the similar experience?
I am from visa exempt country and wondering if I can apply to special authorization to board my flight to Canada and enter Canada with other passport. Has everybody gotten that authorization if you satisfy all the criteria?

SSA36

Apr 2, 2021
Can I expedite my passport just by having the plane ticket? Or do I need to have some family emergency etc?
hi Luke,

I got my passport in 3 days after booking an appointment through Service Canada webform.
Just fill the webform and mention you have a booked flight, they will call you within a day or two to book an inperson appointment based on your flight booking date. Apart from passport application documents, they need you to have a booked flight as mandatory.
I will highly suggest get your passport before you fly. Through urgent service can be done as soon as 2 to 5 days.

Lex2019

Jan 21, 2019
I have to leave Canada shortly after my Oath ceremony and receiving certificate. I heard that processing time for getting Canadian passports are 20 business days and that seems too long for me to wait. Has anyone had the similar experience?
I am from visa exempt country and wondering if I can apply to special authorization to board my flight to Canada and enter Canada with other passport. Has everybody gotten that authorization if you satisfy all the criteria?
"Shortly" and "too long" suggest you don't have a fly out date. Book an in-person appointment and have it done urgently. Best and safest. You don't mention how long you'll be staying outside of Canada, but if long enough you could also apply for your passport while there through the embassy.

Reactions: harirajmohan