+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Leave Canada for a few months after Citizenship Applicant.

Uranus

Star Member
Aug 28, 2015
Hi All,

Thanks for all your inputs and making this Forum a great place to get info & help each other!!

I have an question, please feel free to share your opinions on :

I'm planning to leave Canada and stay in overseas for about 3/4 months after handing in the Citizenship application and also want to quit my job. Basically to have a breather in life and re-evaluate my career.

Is there any implications or concerns? I probably will be unemployed at the time of Test...

So please share your thoughts, anything will help...

or please direct me to some Threads which this topic has been discussed

Thank you very much!

razerblade

VIP Member
Feb 21, 2014
Hi All,

Thanks for all your inputs and making this Forum a great place to get info & help each other!!

I have an question, please feel free to share your opinions on :

I'm planning to leave Canada and stay in overseas for about 3/4 months after handing in the Citizenship application and also want to quit my job. Basically to have a breather in life and re-evaluate my career.

Is there any implications or concerns? I probably will be unemployed at the time of Test...

So please share your thoughts, anything will help...

or please direct me to some Threads which this topic has been discussed

Thank you very much!
3-4 months right start submitting the application comes at the risk of missing any correspondence that IRCC may mail to you like a fingerprint request, or a quality assurance exercise questionnaire, test invite etc. If you can make certain that someone reliable will be checking your snail mailbox regularly, and that you're willing to fly back to Canada for any of those requests at a moment's notice, then it's doable. Just my 2 cents.

deerestlovelybear

Jan 20, 2015
if you leave Canada for more than 2 weeks after applying you must let IRRC knows as it may imply that you are abandoning your citizenship application in Canada, it is stated clearly in the Instruction guide, the main point here is to wait til you get your citizenship, yes it is like prison but you have waited 3 years or more so why not just 1 year more?

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
I'm planning to leave Canada and stay in overseas for about 3/4 months after handing in the Citizenship application and also want to quit my job. Basically to have a breather in life and re-evaluate my career. Is there any implications or concerns?
While your Citizenship application is in process, "only" contact CPC if you:
  • Change your address,
  • Are charged with a crime
  • Plan to leave Canada for more than two weeks in a row

Uranus

Star Member
Aug 28, 2015
if you leave Canada for more than 2 weeks after applying you must let IRRC knows as it may imply that you are abandoning your citizenship application in Canada, it is stated clearly in the Instruction guide, the main point here is to wait til you get your citizenship, yes it is like prison but you have waited 3 years or more so why not just 1 year more?
Hey deerestlovelybear, Thank you!

Just wondering what are the means that I can find a full description on this topic in the instruction guide?

Uranus

Star Member
Aug 28, 2015
While your Citizenship application is in process, "only" contact CPC if you:
  • Change your address,
  • Are charged with a crime
  • Plan to leave Canada for more than two weeks in a row
----------
Hi Qorax

I Found this on CIC website :

" Can I leave Canada after I mail my citizenship application?
Yes. You can leave Canada after we receive your application.

If you need to leave Canada and want to stay eligible for Canadian citizenship, you must:

• make sure that you live in Canada long enough to keep your Permanent Resident (PR) status
  • be a permanent resident (when you apply)
  • not lose PR status before you take the Oath of Citizenship
  • bring your PR card with you when you leave Canada so you can return easily
Make sure your PR card won’t expire while you are outside Canada.

We usually only mail letters, notices and other documents to addresses in Canada. In some cases, you may receive an email from us. You must reply to these letters or emails within a specified amount of time. If you don’t reply within the time frame and don’t provide an acceptable reason for not being able to keep your appointment with us or providing requested information, we may stop processing your application."
--------------
May I know what is the source of info you replied to me? Thank you!!

Reactions: qorax

sebbie

Star Member
Dec 27, 2017
where does it say that "it may imply that you are abandoning your citizenship application in Canada"?

sebbie

Star Member
Dec 27, 2017
From the link, nothing wrong with being abroad, you just have to get your mail and reply/go to appointments when requested unless you have a good reason not to.

"You must reply to these letters or emails within a specified amount of time. If you don’t reply within the time frame and don’t provide an acceptable reason for not being able to keep your appointment with us or providing requested information, we may stop processing your application"

Micbm

Star Member
Jul 14, 2015
The IRCC website.
Hey can you share the link? I would like to confirm as I will likely do the same.
Hi Micbm,

Thanks. Do you know where is the " Plan to leave Canada for more than two weeks in a row" came from? was it the info received after handing in the application??
Asking questions about your application
While we process your application, only contact us if you:

• change your address
  • are charged with a crime
  • plan to leave Canada for more than two weeks in a row
Under Canadian privacy law, we can’t give information about your application to anyone but you unless you consent in writing.

source: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-citizenship/become-canadian-citizen/after-apply-next-steps.html

Reactions: Uranus