+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

[Layoff]Can I still use my employer specific work permit to re-enter Canada after being laid off?

LemonBagel

Feb 14, 2023
Hi everyone, I have an employer-specific work permit and I have been recently laid off... My contract with my last employer has been terminated. My work permit and W-1 work visa both expire in the spring of 2024. So I'm wondering if I can exit and re-enter the Canadian border with my work permit and work visa even if I no longer work for the employer. Or do I have to wait until I have a new work permit?

Thank you very much!!

Last edited:

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hi everyone, I have an employer-specific work permit and I have been recently laid off... My contract with my last employer has been terminated. My work permit and work visa both expire in the spring of 2024. So I'm wondering if I can exit and re-enter the Canadian border with my work permit and work visa even if I no longer work for the employer. Or do I have to wait until I have a new work permit?

Thank you very much!!
Do you have a TRV to enter Canada? Was the TRV issued separately from the work permit? You may be asked for proof of employment since on a closed work permit.

Last edited:

LemonBagel

Feb 14, 2023
Do you have a TRV to enter Canada? Was the TRV issued separately from the work permit? You may be asked for proof of employment since on a closed work permit.
I have a W-1 work visa stamp. My previous employer helped me to obtain this visa. When I was still working for my previous employer, I was normally asked to present my work permit at the border. Now that I no longer work for my previous employer, I'm not sure if I could still use the same work permit to re-enter. Thank you!

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I have a W-1 work visa stamp. My previous employer helped me to obtain this visa. When I was still working for my previous employer, I was normally asked to present my work permit at the border. Now that I no longer work for my previous employer, I'm not sure if I could still use the same work permit to re-enter. Thank you!
If you use W-1, then you may be asked for proof of employment and denied entry. No one can tell you if you will be allowed to enter. If you had a TRV separate from your work permit then it may be easier to enter as TRV was issued before your work permit.