+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Lawyer fees - refunds

AlinaNY

Jan 2, 2014
A bit of a nightmare with lawyers. A while back my mom hired a lawyer as she prepared to sponsor my dad. Over the course of time he joined forces with another firm, then dumped them. Time slipped away due to this and other factors, the application was never filed. The dumped firm dissolved after he left them and they transferred all the files to some other firm (now a third office!!!). The new firm seems rather incompetent, giving incorrect advice. We don't want to continue with them. But we also don't want to go back to the old lawyer due to his behaviour. At the end of the day, the issue is financial. 50% of the fee is with the old lawyer - so question 1 - can we demand any of that money back? And 25% of the fee is with the new/latest firm - they say it was what retained in the trust after the dissolution of the previous law office - so question 2 - can we require that they refund this money to us as well? All in all, when does it stop being a situation when the lawyer conducted business in good faith and deserves some of the fee and starts being a situation of "negligence and incompetence" that allows us to request a refund?
If this is unclear, I can provide more details.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I would certainly try.

I would write a detailed letter outlining the timelines and their failure to deliver the services you paid for. If that gets you nowhere, I would then tell them that your next letter is going to be an official complaint filed with the provincial regulatory body (in the case of Ontario, this would be the Law Society of Upper Canada).

margobear96

Star Member
Dec 21, 2012
BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP - Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 15, 2012 (rec'd)
AOR Received.
November 26, 2012
File Transfer...
November 26, 2012
Med's Done....
September 29, 2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
April 23, 2013
VISA ISSUED...
April 26, 2013 (rec'd May 2, 2013)
LANDED..........
May 4, 2013
What does the retainer letter/agreement say? Was the fee a lump sum for "PR filing" or was it a retainer put in trust, but the lawyer was going to really bill hourly? If the former, are there no provisions in the retainer agreement regarding what happens if the service is not rendered? If the latter, both the old lawyer and the second firm should refund what wasn't spent/invoiced for.