+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Late/old settler questions

s3nr1

Star Member
May 11, 2013
Hi I'm about 42y old. I have basically reset my life and moved to Canada. Short story, used all of my money/assets to study (a new field for me) in Canada and now currently working full time for ~3y, making 55k/y to 75k/y, before tax, over the span of those years.

I do not yet have my own home, car, and so on in Canada or anywhere else anymore. Most of my income is being used for rent, groceries and sending home to my parents and so on. I saved and invest what I can, like $500 a month, Have less than 40k saved/invested.

That said, given my age, I probably did not immigrate at an ideal age. I think I'm healthy but I do worry about the future, they say when you reach a certain age, it hits you hard.

Obviously, my worry is about future old age and money.

Other than finding a better-paying job, is there anything else I should be doing? Not only to support me but also my parents in the event something happens. Is a life insurance a good option for me? Any recommendation? Also do these pay out to people not in Canada? I also started investing in 2020 and well, we all know how that is going :), I feel like I invested at the peak...

I'm not sure what else to ask if this is the right forum, but is there anyone that professionally deals with this kind of conundrum that I can talk to. Also, anyone facing a similar issue and has some suggestions or story to tell? Thanks!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi I'm about 42y old. I have basically reset my life and moved to Canada. Short story, used all of my money/assets to study (a new field for me) in Canada and now currently working full time for ~3y, making 55k/y to 75k/y, before tax, over the span of those years.

I do not yet have my own home, car, and so on in Canada or anywhere else anymore. Most of my income is being used for rent, groceries and sending home to my parents and so on. I saved and invest what I can, like $500 a month, Have less than 40k saved/invested.

That said, given my age, I probably did not immigrate at an ideal age. I think I'm healthy but I do worry about the future, they say when you reach a certain age, it hits you hard.

Obviously, my worry is about future old age and money.

Other than finding a better-paying job, is there anything else I should be doing? Not only to support me but also my parents in the event something happens. Is a life insurance a good option for me? Any recommendation? Also do these pay out to people not in Canada? I also started investing in 2020 and well, we all know how that is going :), I feel like I invested at the peak...

I'm not sure what else to ask if this is the right forum, but is there anyone that professionally deals with this kind of conundrum that I can talk to. Also, anyone facing a similar issue and has some suggestions or story to tell? Thanks!
Have you met with a financial planner? That is really your best bet to review the full picture (e.g. earnings, expenses, savings, financial objectives) and provide you with recommendations.

Not sure life insurance really makes sense for you. Income protection / disability insurance may make sense. But that's not the same as life insurance.

Talk to a financial planner.